Nice Review of Core and SE Paul’s Guitars in Guitarist, Plus TCI Article

László

Too Many Notes
I thought I’d mention that the new Guitarist has a thorough review of both the Core and SE Paul’s Guitars, and also an interview with Paul/article about the TCI pickups.

The guitars got extremely high marks, and there was a solid explanation of what TCI is all about. Based on what’s hinted at, I’d guess that we’ll see the TCI pickup concept expanded to other models in the future.

It was nice to see that both the Paul’s and the DGT are indeed finished in nitro - ever since getting my PS guitars, PRS’ nitro finish has been my finish of choice, and it doesn’t get sticky like other nitro finishes (at least, the ones I have). The nitro takes these guitars one step closer to PS specs, and for me, that’s awesome.

I believe the article also said Paul’s Guitar has a Madagascar RW fretboard; I have three PS models with that fretboard, and they sound wonderful. So, another step toward PS specs.

I can’t wait to try both the new Paul’s Guitar and DGT. Should be interesting (if a little hard on the wallet when I take the plunge!).

And Guitar Player Magazine just did a review of McCarty 594 Hollowbody II. They gave it their "Editors' Pick" award.

"All in all, the McCarty 594 is an extremely good-looking, great playing and excellent sounding guitar, an achievement fully worthy of PRS' place in the industry and an easy choice for our Editors' Pick Award"

I have a Hollowbody ii with the same 58/15 LT's and a McCarty 594 solid body - both absolutely incredible guitars but the marriage of those 2 has to ba an astonishing instrument so I am totally unsurprised by the review. As I have a New Guitar incoming, I won't be adding one to my collection in the near future but I want one, I want one a LOT!!! Arguably its much more of a 'luxury' as my HBii can give me most of what this offers with the added bonus of a Piezo. I don't know how much use the coil splitting would offer as someone who prefer Humbuckers and rarely use the coil splits on my 594 anyway but that still doesn't stop me wanting one!

Sorry, every time these new, seemingly awesome, pickups are mentioned, I’m brought back to this TV commercial from my childhood in nyc.
Carry on as you were...

I don't know how much use the coil splitting would offer as someone who prefer Humbuckers and rarely use the coil splits on my 594 anyway but that still doesn't stop me wanting one!

I’m pretty much the same way; I tried the coil splits when I first got the 594, and thought, “That sounds nice!” And then never got around to using them. o_O

I forgot the guitar had splittable pickups. I was reminded that it does in someone’s thread a while back.

I’d probably use them if they had 408-style switches, but I have a hard time pulling up the lampshade knobs; the shape is all wrong, and it’s like trying to grip a wet watermelon seed.

They are not the easiest to go from HB to Split but I would be happy with the push/push tone pots instead. The mini toggles are easier than a push/pull and I imagine these push/pulls are not great if you have a bit of sweaty fingers.

The main reason I don't really use them often is that I prefer the fuller sound of a Humbucker and, as I am not really competing with another guitarist or other band members, I am not competing for frequencies. Therefore I don't need the thinner sound that split coils offer but I would still rather have and not need, than need and not want.

If I was looking for a more SC sound, I would just grab my 509 too - another reason I don't find myself needing to use the coil splits on the 594. Soon, I will have the PRS Special 22 as well so plenty of options that are easier to use than the 594. I don't have any split coil type sounds with a Hollowbody so it could be interesting to see how that affects the tone but spending a LOT of money for those split coil with a hollowbody sound when I am much more likely to use them as full humbuckers 90%+ of the time anyway - something I can use my HBii for. Doesn't stop me wanting one though...

I’m pretty much the same way; I tried the coil splits when I first got the 594, and thought, “That sounds nice!” And then never got around to using them. o_O

I forgot the guitar had splittable pickups. I was reminded that it does in someone’s thread a while back.

I’d probably use them if they had 408-style switches, but I have a hard time pulling up the lampshade knobs; the shape is all wrong, and it’s like trying to grip a wet watermelon seed.
It’s funny. Actually, it’s not funny at all. I don’t know why I continue to use that phrase. Anyway...
On my 2 PU 594s I almost never split. On my 3 PU one, I split all the time. The split PUs with the middle NF (split or not) in the mix, just sounds great to my ear. And with the shorter scale length, unlike any other guitar I have or have played. Sometimes options are pointless, sometimes even annoying. But sometimes brilliant

I probably had my Paul's at least a year and it occurred to me, "What are these little toggle switches?!" :eek::rolleyes: I don't know now if, 1) The guy told me what they were when I bought it and I completely forgot (most likely) or, 2) the subject never came up when I was trying it out and then bought it. Shortly after that I saw some post on another forum talking about coil-tapping on Gibson LP's. I checked mine out and "Damn! My LP has push-pull coil tapping switches!" I had it for years!
I really need to quit sharing how dense I am!

...The guitars got extremely high marks, and there was a solid explanation of what TCI is all about. Based on what’s hinted at, I’d guess that we’ll see the TCI pickup concept expanded to other models in the future...

Les,

Forgive my ignorance, but I personally don't have access to Guitarist magazine easily and don't know much about TCI pickups. This is where you could be helpful describing the concept, or at least provide us with some insight...

Thanks in advance...

Back