NGW, starting today: Bonnie Pink and Blue Fade Custom 24s, Eriza Verde Custom 22

Thanks !
Unfortunately the blue one will likely go back: looks great, sounds great, and perfectly weight-balanced but I'm not liking the Pattern Regular profile at all.
I don't know if it's this specific guitar's neck as I don't recall feeling that way when I tried one a few weeks ago but it feels cramped and thinner/smaller compared to Pattern Thin (even though it's clearly not)...
In comparison both Pattern and Pattern Thin feel noticeably better to me, and that's very counter intuitive as I expected Pattern Regular to be an ideal blend of the two.

I suspect the slightly narrower nut is the reason but I would never have imagined I'd notice. Granted it's not like I can't play it at all but there's just this constant minor inconvenience I don't have with the other neck profiles.

It's funny that I thought I had figured out which neck shapes I like, it turns out it's a lot more complicated than that.
I seem more sensitive to neck to neck variations of the same neck profile, than I am with the various neck shapes PRS offers:
- The Pattern neck on that CU22 Eriza Verde is definitely chunkier feeling than the other two I played, both the Paul's Guitar I used to have and the MEV I just got back from PRS (sadly it has to go back neck week for another issue...) have a soft V shape to the neck that makes them extremely comfortable to my hands. In contrast the Eriza Verde has a lot more shoulders kind of like a D, I'll likely part with that one eventually.

- The Pattern Regular of the blue fade CU24 had a very strong V shape making it feel just as thin as as Pattern Thin. In contrast I got a different CU24 with Pattern Regular yesterday and absolutely love the neck on this one; in fact it feels oddly similar to the Pattern necks of the Paul's Guitar & MEV.

- I liked only one out of three Silver Sky necks I played. The other two felt like baseball bats to and I suspect that's the norm for the Silver Sky.

Ah right... that new CU24 I mentioned is this one:

ECNPY9h.jpg

O7ikumN.jpg

Vo8LhMq.jpg

The birds are a bit strange looking on pictures but they look much better in person. I'd still have preferred more contrast with black outlines on a maple fingerboard:
fLDtfaE.jpg

The only thing I'm not super happy about is how the dealer represented the color. This is how the color truly looks in person:
O7ikumN.jpg

Dealer pics looked like this:
Om2mMO7.jpg

I asked specifically if their pictures were representative and they assured me it was a vivid pink.
I suppose it's indeed a vivid pink if Fender's faded shell pink is the reference, but it's nowhere like the "it's so vivid it hurts my eyes" kind of pink I was anticipating.
Maybe that's a good thing :p

It's funny that I thought I had figured out which neck shapes I like, it turns out it's a lot more complicated than that.
I seem more sensitive to neck to neck variations of the same neck profile, than I am with the various neck shapes PRS offers:
- The Pattern neck on that CU22 Eriza Verde is definitely chunkier feeling than the other two I played, both the Paul's Guitar I used to have and the MEV I just got back from PRS (sadly it has to go back neck week for another issue...) have a soft V shape to the neck that makes them extremely comfortable to my hands. In contrast the Eriza Verde has a lot more shoulders kind of like a D, I'll likely part with that one eventually.

- The Pattern Regular of the blue fade CU24 had a very strong V shape making it feel just as thin as as Pattern Thin. In contrast I got a different CU24 with Pattern Regular yesterday and absolutely love the neck on this one; in fact it feels oddly similar to the Pattern necks of the Paul's Guitar & MEV.

- I liked only one out of three Silver Sky necks I played. The other two felt like baseball bats to and I suspect that's the norm for the Silver Sky.

Ah right... that new CU24 I mentioned is this one:

ECNPY9h.jpg

O7ikumN.jpg

Vo8LhMq.jpg

The birds are a bit strange looking on pictures but they look much better in person. I'd still have preferred more contrast with black outlines on a maple fingerboard:
fLDtfaE.jpg

The only thing I'm not super happy about is how the dealer represented the color. This is how the color truly looks in person:
O7ikumN.jpg

Dealer pics looked like this:
Om2mMO7.jpg

I asked specifically if their pictures were representative and they assured me it was a vivid pink.
I suppose it's indeed a vivid pink if Fender's faded shell pink is the reference, but it's nowhere like the "it's so vivid it hurts my eyes" kind of pink I was anticipating.
Maybe that's a good thing :p
Wow, killer figured woods on that!

I’m also sensitive to very small changes in dimensions in neck carve. I can’t play Pattern Thin at all these days. I had a 408 SH ExpLtd a few years back with a Pattern neck but it was the largest neck I’d ever played on a PRS. Didn’t work for me. Pattern a Regular is borderline for me, though I played my Pernie neck guitar the other day and was fine (normally it’s too narrow these days). Really does depend on how they’re sanded down by hand! W/F, Pattern and Pattern Vintage generally work for me.

That's the most beautiful pink colored guitar ive ever seen. When I think of a pink guitar, my mind goes to those neon pink Ibanez things from the 80s.

That's the most beautiful pink colored guitar ive ever seen. When I think of a pink guitar, my mind goes to those neon pink Ibanez things from the 80s.

Thanks !
Here's another one for you: 2017 Gibson Custom Shop LTD run from GC.
That was my first pink guitar. Great guitar, the neck was a bit too fat for me though ( very 59-like ).
A few were that highly figured.
They apparently didn't sell well (color + the price differential between a Gibson CS and production line), which allowed me to get a really good deal on it.

0qWItfP.jpg

Thanks !
Here's another one for you: 2017 Gibson Custom Shop LTD run from GC.
That was my first pink guitar. Great guitar, the neck was a bit too fat for me though ( very 59-like ).
A few were that highly figured.
They apparently didn't sell well (color + the price differential between a Gibson CS and production line), which allowed me to get a really good deal on it.

0qWItfP.jpg
Jeez that's beautiful. Well, those are the best pink guitars I've ever seen. I would totally play one in that color, I have no shame. :)

TRC too of course:

O2OvAw5.jpg

Will use the 1st or 4th for this guitar as it's a better match for the quilt top (1st one actually looks really good from a different light/viewing angle).
Also just finished a MDF template for my PS MEV, MDF will look so great on that premium guitar :p
Nice!

I had to redo the tuner buttons and TRC stain twice. I had been using pink mixes done a while back and those had a tiny bit of yellow dye to warm things up, unfortunately that looked too warm compared to Bonnie Pink (at least on my guitar).

Just diluting red dye without any yellow is a much better and perfect match for Bonnie Pink.

Decided to went all in and stain a spare set of backplates I made earlier this year.
I'll do a proper NGD once everything is installed; will wait couple weeks for the finish to dry before sanding/polishing.

ypZEAxc.jpg

Last edited:
I had to redo the tuner buttons and TRC stain twice. I had been using pink mixes done a while back and those had a tiny bit of yellow dye to warm things up, unfortunately that looked too warm compared to Bonnie Pink (at least on my guitar).

Just diluting red dye without any yellow is a much better and perfect match for Bonnie Pink.

Decided to went all in and stain a spare set of backplates I made earlier this year.
I'll do a proper NGD once everything is installed; will wait couple weeks for the finish to dry before sanding/polishing.

ypZEAxc.jpg

Looks great

Back