NGM (month) cage match David Grissom DGT versus Paul's guitar one must go!

Ironwolf

I'm a Dog! I do Dog Things!
it's been well over a year of experimenting trying to get the ideal humbucker with tremolo guitar, the 1st one was a Joe Satriani musclecar orange, tried that for 6 months, really liked the guitar in general. The neck pickup really well thought out, coil taps push pull, treble bleed, the Floyd Rose (Ibanez clone) extremely nice.
I think the combination of the pickup and the locking tremolo metal and springs (adds tone) made it such a struggle to get classic rock tones, across all the strings, surprisingly. I endlessly, endlessly fiddled with EQ and gain, the low strings and the highest strings seem to be on different EQ planets. I would get the power chords dialed in and the top 3 strings completely different voice.
And vice versa dial-in the top 3 strings in the low strings were fat muddy too bassy. Started listening to how Joe plays, how the guitar was designed, seems for almost every song he is at high gain so that's where that guitar seems to flourish. Dialing the volume knob starts to control the voice. but what a struggle to get the tones in my head similar to my LP or my 594. it was just too different of a voice too modern. To the Reverb it went, it's gone.

Replaced it with PRS Paul's guitar,many months later. the criteria very similar must have coil taps, and humbucker's. similar to the Ibanez it just a beautiful playing guitar, feels like you've been playing it for 20 years, much more satisfying ability to get classic rock tones, but I felt like it was falling severely short on the single coil tones, again the handy-dandy PRS 594 as a standard control tone. as soon as I found out there's a new Paul's guitar single coil replacement set for 2018, and I can't get it, made me crave a more flexible guitar, something that can cover wide ranges just better single coil tones, I'm not like you guys I can't have 30 - 70 guitars, I can rationalize having 5 guitars. you guys are they trying to tempt me to the Santana model, which I might do if it had coil taps, I've been reading about the David Grissom model for 10 years, and shied away from it because of the 42.8 mm nut, and 11 gauge strings, but Watched almost every video on YouTube and read every review about the DGT,
so after talking with several members on the forum how to rewire and save the Paul's guitar, for better single coil performance I gave up and I bought the DGT, I kept the Paul's guitar, just in case I hated the DGT, decided to play them head-to-head for a month before deciding which one must go.

why are my posts always way way too many words?

I'll try to shorten it up, I easily agree with previous posters the David Grissom DGT is so well thought out and so amazing, it might be the perfect guitar, WOW. Paul's guitar was sent to Reverb and is gone. the DGT just blew it out the door, the single coil tones, the telecaster tones, the humbucker tones, with the tremolo OMG. it seems to be 10 guitars in one, .
The volume controls on each pick up, with the treble bleed, such a powerful feature, so well thought out and designed by Mr. Grissom and Mr. Smith.
I've waited for 4 weeks of playing to make sure I'm not delusional, I just can't wait to pick up the guitar every single day. I also lucked into, beautiful feature-rich base model for almost no money at all, 3k, crazy. I love mineral streaks in maple tops. white tuners, binding on the neck, the quality of the woods look amazing.

I love mineral streaks
mHM9MpP.jpg

more mineral streaks
b0RsNN0.jpg

binding
sMbQsye.jpg

top o the line Mahog wow,
cWO2UpC.jpg

jumbos and humming bird
8LcLZK2.jpg

my 1st guitar with white tuners so fun,
gbQEXyt.jpg

one more quilt
whOXG5x.jpg

I think I might be done buying guitars?:eek:yeah right:rolleyes:

I had half a mind to get my PS Custom 24 with DGT electronics, but decided on the 24-08 electronics instead cus it gave me more pickup configurations. Beautiful, beautiful score mate. Love a DGT with a more modern colour choice.

I had half a mind to get my PS Custom 24 with DGT electronics, but decided on the 24-08 electronics instead cus it gave me more pickup configurations. Beautiful, beautiful score mate. Love a DGT with a more modern colour choice.

the 24/08 was actually a strong contender, but the 85/15 while quite good, seemed slightly too modern for me, Grissom's pickup based on a 59 PAF, from his ES335 Gibby, seems to be my dream pick up I'm super in love with that pick up. especially, he did such an amazing job of choosing 2 pickups that work in harmony, but with 2 different voices, they work with each other for that middle position in a sublime way. I would say 57/08 are super excellent as well.

for your private stock you got to choose your pickups,? so what did you choose,?

So good! And yes, white tuner buttons are the sh!t. I don’t know why the bring me such pleasure, but they do!

I'm in the same camp. I actually just looked over my right shoulder at the Bruise Burst. Can't figure out why it doesn't have white buttons on it! I gotta get on that! Although, with all that white on the back perhaps the contrast of black would be better.

I'm in the same camp. I actually just looked over my right shoulder at the Bruise Burst. Can't figure out why it doesn't have white buttons on it! I gotta get on that! Although, with all that white on the back perhaps the contrast of black would be better.

I’ve kinda fallen out of love with the ebony buttons. I mean, for some guitars they’re absolutely the right choice, but I’ve actually taken them off of some guitars.

This cage match scenario got me thinking I’d like a Dirty DGT.

That would be really rad.

I’ve kinda fallen out of love with the ebony buttons. I mean, for some guitars they’re absolutely the right choice, but I’ve actually taken them off of some guitars.

That would be really rad.
I know a guy dirty deeds done dirt cheap

Beautiful DGT! It still freaks me out a little that I’ve never owned one. But I already have too many electric guitars, five, plus one on order.

Most of you have many more, and that’s awesome, but for me more than one is too many.

Now that I’m one of the Ancients, my only goal is to pare down and reduce all time-wasting options! I need to sell all but one. I’ve been trying to pick the keeper for a year.

“If not wasting time’s your goal, Les, why are you putzing around on the Internet instead of creating music in your studio, or seducing grandmas? Aren’t you merely wasting time?”

No, just wasting your time while you read my drivel.

Hey, what’s up with the ‘seducing grandmas’ thing? That seems like, well, kind of a time-waster in and of itself.

“For you, Les, seducing even a grandma would be a miracle, and therefore not a waste of time.”

I, uh, think I’ll just head down to the studio instead, thanks. :rolleyes:

Beautiful DGT! It still freaks me out a little that I’ve never owned one. But I already have too many electric guitars, five, plus one on order.

Most of you have many more, and that’s awesome, but for me more than one is too many.

Now that I’m one of the Ancients, my only goal is to pare down and reduce all time-wasting options! I need to sell all but one. I’ve been trying to pick the keeper for a year.

“If not wasting time’s your goal, Les, why are you putzing around on the Internet instead of creating music in your studio, or seducing grandmas? Aren’t you merely wasting time?”

No, just wasting your time while you read my drivel.

Hey, what’s up with the ‘seducing grandmas’ thing? That seems like, well, kind of a time-waster in and of itself.

“For you, Les, seducing even a grandma would be a miracle, and therefore not a waste of time.”

I, uh, think I’ll just head down to the studio instead, thanks. :rolleyes:

Les (I suggest you write that down you just wrote a hit song)
That sounds like a deathbed confessional, even perhaps fueled by a few extra beers. I am literally laughing out loud. I am thoroughly entertained, by your insightful musings.
if there's one person on here that should have at least 5 guitars, it is you. as you said many times before. you need a particular tool to do a particular job. a master craftsman.

It feels like remorse, from an old cowboy movie, right before the hero dies, the one thing I regret in life is not getting down to just one guitar.
I could've played all that music on one guitar. I could have been a jukebox hero. that one guitar just felt good in his hands.

I also dream of seducing a grandma. as I am also stuck in the spiraling death dive we call old age.

I now want to send you a free David Grissom guitar. I actually think it might be your one guitar.
I'm really curious to know which 6 guitars you are down to now.

I have one of all the major flavors that was my goal, unique sounds as a painters palette. humbucker's, single coils, P 90s, hard tails, tremolo's.

1. fantastic Les Paul high-performance
2. PRS 594 sublime low gain
3. Fender deluxe Stratocaster with Eric Johnson pickups
4. Billy Corgan Revernd model P90 rails
5. David Grissom PRS (so solidly moved into the number 1 position) I feel like a magician with this guitar, every knob turn conjures up magic.

cheers my friend you will figure it out for sure. I forgive you my son say 10 Hail Marys and by 10 PRS's

thank you for that excellent entertainment

the 24/08 was actually a strong contender, but the 85/15 while quite good, seemed slightly too modern for me, Grissom's pickup based on a 59 PAF, from his ES335 Gibby, seems to be my dream pick up I'm super in love with that pick up. especially, he did such an amazing job of choosing 2 pickups that work in harmony, but with 2 different voices, they work with each other for that middle position in a sublime way. I would say 57/08 are super excellent as well.

for your private stock you got to choose your pickups,? so what did you choose,?

I went with the 85/15 MTs! But with the neck pickup the "right way round" ie with the screws nearer the neck. The DGT pickups sounded great, but like you said, a little too vintage for my liking based off youtube videos. When I tried the 85/15s though, they were fantastic, round, clear and punchy.

I'm really curious to know which 6 guitars you are down to now.

I have one of all the major flavors that was my goal, unique sounds as a painters palette. humbucker's, single coils, P 90s, hard tails, tremolo's.

1. fantastic Les Paul high-performance
2. PRS 594 sublime low gain
3. Fender deluxe Stratocaster with Eric Johnson pickups
4. Billy Corgan Revernd model P90 rails
5. David Grissom PRS (so solidly moved into the number 1 position) I feel like a magician with this guitar, every knob turn conjures up magic.

cheers my friend you will figure it out for sure. I forgive you my son say 10 Hail Marys and by 10 PRS's

thank you for that excellent entertainment

Ha! So happy to have given you a laugh! :)

Your choices are philosophically similar to mine, though I stayed within the PRS family (though my philosophical reasons for choosing guitars are most likely just excuses for having more than one guitar):

1. McCarty Singlecut for the tracks you’d use your LP for.
2. 594 for that sublime thing 594s do.
3. 20th PS Anniversary (two Paul’s 408s, NF Middle, Trem, 594 scale length) for the stuff you’d use your Strat for. I know it’s way different, but it’s bright and articulate and does the quack thing in positions 2 and 4, plus I’m not a Strat guy.
4. 594 Soapbar for the P-90 thing.
5. CU24 30th PS as a “do most anything” guitar.

On order is the 594 Semi-Hollow for the stuff semi-hollow guitars do (had a CU22 Semi-Hollow a few years back, and should have kept it).

The weird thing, though, is that while I’m supposed to record using a particular guitar for that thing it does, most of the time I just pick a guitar I’m in the mood to play and I do my thing, it does its thing, and the track winds up where it winds up.

So there’s supposed to be a plan, but in reality, there’s no plan!

Me: “What do you want to hear on this track, Producer Les?”

Me: “I dunno. Just try something, Session Les.”

Me: “Any guitar tone you’d like to hear on the track, Producer Les?”

Me: “How would I know, you’re the guitar player, Session Les.”

Me: “OK. Well, I’m too lazy to go get another guitar, and I have my 594 here.”

Me: “Yeah, whatever. The guitar comes in at bar 5. Go for it.”

Me: “Maybe you’d like to hear something brighter?”

Me: “You’re kidding, right? You think I’m going to sit here while you screw around with guitars? I’ve got a deadline. This is fine. Thanks. See ya. Bye. It’s time for Mixer Les to do his thing now, and then Mastering Les comes in, gotta get this thing shipped.”

Back