NGD!

do artist grade guitars already come with the super-secret rosewood neck treatment?
No they don't...but it's worth having done (sent in my HB2 AP for this...no regrets...).

No they don't...but it's worth having done (sent in my HB2 AP for this...no regrets...).

Tosca, What exactly is the rosewood treatment. Also, I have asked in another thread about the maple and rosewood necks for a HB@. What are your thoughts? You are obviously pleases with the rosewood. Could I ask you to elaborate and what would be your thoughts on a MAple neck HB2. Thank you

Tosca, What exactly is the rosewood treatment.

That's the million dollar question...it's a PTC secret and they won't say, other than it doesn't involve doing anything "irreversible" to the wood like staining/painting. My guess is it involves some kind of super fine sanding and buffing along with some kind of oil treatment...that's purely a guess. It makes the neck surface very smooth and slick (I know it's hard to imagine it being even more so...I was skeptical too). The treated area looks slightly shinier if you look at an angle up close (impossible to photograph). It almost feels like marble (except warm because it's wood), very smooth, with no "drag".

Also, I have asked in another thread about the maple and rosewood necks for a HB@. What are your thoughts? You are obviously pleased with the rosewood. Could I ask you to elaborate and what would be your thoughts on a MAple neck HB2. Thank you

I'm not sure if I'm the best or the worst person to answer that question. I have guitars with almost every combination of FB/Neck woods because they all have their own special magic...and I'm prone to violent moods swings. I ordered my HB2 with IRW/BRW combination because I wanted something with a "big loud voice" and improved sustain...and I really love the feel of a rosewood neck (and honestly...the smell too). I think a rosewood neck really adds to the resonance, sustain and low end response of a guitar. I like the Ebony/Maple combination too, but already have a JA-15...it's a bit sweeter and brighter...more "refined and polite" than the HB2, if that makes any sense. I really like the smooth feel of an ebony fingerboard, but PRS's BRW is so high quality, dense and finely polished there is almost not difference. My favorite combination is Ebony FB/BRW Neck (with ebony binding)...I have one with that combo but not a PRS...it's fantastic.

Not a fan of green guitars, but that is just gorgeous.

Thanks again everybody, the more I play it, the happier I am!

I'm still very much in the honeymoon phase with this guitar so its a bit hard to say how biased I am right now, but I absolutely love the rosewood neck/ebony board combo and with the 5708's it seems to fit my playing perfectly. Its super responsive and has mountains of sustain. I pretty much picked it up from the store and didn't get to play it till band practice that night, but it just felt right and the more I play the neck, the smoother it seems to be becoming.

Back