NGD

Lyric

Hi everyone,

Well I finally picked up my first PRS, it isn’t US made, is SE model but it’s also Korean made :)

So far I really really love it and have no complaints at all. I am honestly surprised at the quality and I can’t imagine how great the cores must be, they must be like the Fort Knox of guitars lol. Maybe one day I’ll pick one up. I thought maybe it was best to start with SE and if I ever get the wiggle to pick up a Core I’ll do so and maybe I’ll be just fine with the model. Knowing how nice this guitar is I find it impossible to be better with the Core’s but I know without a doubt they must be for the price, I’m sure.

Anyways I do many pull the trigger on a couple updates or mods. I have the funds, no issue and just wanted to ask some advice and opinions please.

- I plan to go with a updated bridge with the MannMade 2040, I know it’s two piece but both pieces are brace but not solid like the 2000NOS. I’m god with the 2040 but anyways I can’t decide between Nickel or Nickel Hybrid Gold. I think the Nickel Hybrid Gold would look sweet but want to ask others what they think. Nickel or Nickel Hybrud Gold?

- I plan to change the SE knobs (clear) to the US Black/Clear. You like?

- I plan to change the nut out for the US nut, Wide-Fat/Thin correct?

- Should I change/upgrade the pots and three way blade for better quality like PRS Core or Emerson?

- Lastly I’m gonna hold off on pickups till the summer to get a feel for what my ears feel like I’m missing and need. Maybe I will find these pickups perfect and if not I’ll know 6 months from now. Otherwise I’m updating the bridge and nut for better sustain and more. The knobs are cosmetic only. Again money not an issue so no worries here. Thoughts on bridge color option, knobs and more. Thanks. Pics below.

2iefrTq

2ieiNdS

Last edited:
Good score, well done. Congratulations and have fun.

That is a hottie!

All the upgrades you speak of I believe will work.

I was kindly gifted an SE245 by some great guys on here. Like you, I was blown away by the quality of build of the guitar.

My advice, for what it’s worth, would be to play the instrument for a wee while. The hardware on an SE is very good for the price point.

If you are considering a core instrument, the modifications that you speak of could partly fund that purchase, when you are totally bittten by the PRS sickness.

I warn you, this will not be your last PRS!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sweet guitar! Yeah, you’re good with all of your mod ideas. I like the lampshade knobs better, and the core nut will be beneficial.

Thank you, do you know btw if the PRS Core or US pickup rings will fit the SE Custom 24’s?

Thanks

WOW! That looks great! I love the headstock matching the top! (should be standard with PRS guitars). Let us know how mods work out. Congrats

The rings will, fit, but as alnus said, try to hold off. Learn what is truly an upgrade, what is just a change, and what you really think you need to do. Remember, if you ever sell the guitar, you will not get your money back on the changes. A core or S2 could be just around the corner for you.

Congratulations, that's a gorgeous guitar!
Another vote here for "live with it for a little while". Find out what you like about it and what you think may need work and mod accordingly.
I have one SE in my collection, and the only mod I'm considering so far is the locking tuners to help the trem stay in tune.

Gotta admit I'm not generally a Trampass guy but that quilt and matching headstock are the t***.

MannMade bridges and Core Nuts will make a HUGE difference. Do them first before you touch the pups definitely! CONGRATS!

Thanks to everyone for the nice replies :)

So I’m about to order in a day or so the MannMade 2040 but I’m stuck between ordering color option and curious what others think.

so considering my guitar which can obviously be seen in the links in my original post which do you think would look best?

2040 - Nickel (all pieces nickel)

or

2040 - Nickel Hybrid (bridge itself is Nickel, saddles and screws are gold)

I’m leaning towards Nickel Hybrid and I think it would look great on the guitar I have but wanna see what others think.

And again thanks

Thanks to everyone for the nice replies :)

So I’m about to order in a day or so the MannMade 2040 but I’m stuck between ordering color option and curious what others think.

so considering my guitar which can obviously be seen in the links in my original post which do you think would look best?

2040 - Nickel (all pieces nickel)

or

2040 - Nickel Hybrid (bridge itself is Nickel, saddles and screws are gold)

I’m leaning towards Nickel Hybrid and I think it would look great on the guitar I have but wanna see what others think.

And again thanks

Personally, I’d go with the NOS2000 instead.

That's a nice guitar.
Best of luck with it.
I would wait to mod it though.
Maybe it will grow on you the way it is?
You can always mod it down the road.

If you decide to upgrade:
1 vote for all nickel hardware on that beauty, although I admit either option looks great.

Back