NGD

I wonder if a large portion of the "not a Strat guy" contingent just haven't played a really good one yet.

:rolleyes:

Trying out an SS won’t be my first ‘really good Strat’ rodeo.

Twanged on lotsa “really good” Strats. I got into guitar in bands in ‘67. Have been producing (and writing, and playing on) ad music sessions for about 30 years, worked with numerous Strat-playing, first call session players here, LA, NY, Nashville, and in Europe, who own hand-picked ‘60s Strats — and I’ve played their guitars.

Owned some high end Strats and Tom Andersons that were ‘really good ones’, too. Doesn’t mean I had to love them.

They don’t suit my playing style. Why’d I buy them? When I first got into the biz, folks said, “You need a Strat, a Tele, a Les Paul, a 335, and a Rick.”

Turned out to be bullish!t!

What you really need is to play the right notes and sound good doing it, and ‘sound good doing it’ is different for every player, but 30 years ago I was young and ignorant. So I bought ‘em. And sold ‘em.

I’m not interested in buying an SS, I just want to try one and understand what they’re about. It’s truly OK to be in the, “I’m not a Strat guy” contingent. I’m fine with it, and it doesn’t at all mean we of that contingent just haven’t played ‘a really good one’. It means we’re not into Strats.

Twanged on lotsa “really good” Strats. I got into guitar in bands in ‘67. Have been producing (and writing, and playing on) ad music sessions for about 30 years, worked with numerous Strat-playing, first call session players here, LA, NY, Nashville, and in Europe, who own hand-picked ‘60s Strats — and I’ve played their guitars.

Owned some high end Strats and Tom Andersons that were ‘really good ones’, too. Doesn’t mean I had to love them.

They don’t suit my playing style. Why’d I buy them? When I first got into the biz, folks said, “You need a Strat, a Tele, a Les Paul, a 335, and a Rick.”

What you really need is to play the right notes and sound good doing it, and ‘sound good doing it’ is different for every player, but 30 years ago I was young and ignorant. So I bought ‘em. And sold ‘em.

I’m not interested in buying an SS, I just want to try one and understand what they’re about. It’s truly OK to be in the, “I’m not a Strat guy” contingent. I’m fine with it, and it doesn’t at all mean we of that contingent just haven’t played ‘a really good one’. It means we’re not into Strats.

Whoa man, come on down off the soapbox!

If I drove over to your house and spent the day letting you put the SS through its paces... Hmmm... I better leave now if I want to be there by Monday...
Anyway... I'm willing to bet it could improve your opinion.:D

I wonder if a large portion of the "not a Strat guy" contingent just haven't played a really good one yet. I am most definitely biased, because the Strat was my first love and in my opinion one of the most perfect guitars ever created. There are a lot of blah Strats that do that thing, but nothing exciting. But when you get a really good one, they can be so inspirational. It makes me think of Paul's "magic guitar" theory, which was surely a factor in the Silver Sky development. The one time I did play a Silver Sky, the neck was terrible to my hand for some reason, but I immediately recognized it as a really good one.

I had an original '63 in black that was my Grandfather's guitar. It was a sweet guitar. The neck pickup was magical. But, it was rickety. I didn't feel I could dig in the same as with newer instruments. Despite having sentimental value, I sold it and it funded my the purchase of my first several Core PRS guitars. I haven't played a Silver Sky yet - the new colors interest more than the first colors - but I do have an EG3 that I find WAY more "inspirational" than the '63 Fender was. Yet, I m not a strat guy, so while I really like the EG3, it still sits in the bag a lot.

While not a strat, I am finding myself in the same boat with the S2 Studio. It's just not speaking to me. The tones I like on the Studio the Vela does better IMO. I don't know, I guess after you play for a number of years - 35 for me - you just know what you like and don't like, despite giving multiple opportunities to certain things.

To the OP - nice guitar!!!! I will be interested to read any comparisons you do with a DC-3. I am always interested in that kind of info!!

If I drove over to your house and spent the day letting you put the SS through its paces... Hmmm... I better leave now if I want to be there by Monday...
Anyway... I'm willing to bet it could improve your opinion.:D

I’m sure it’s the best Strat ever, but...honest...I’m not putting down Strats.

The thread’s about a member’s new SS, and I think it’s cool that he got one!

Rider came alive playing my SS. It REALLY fit him more than me and I thought he would buy it when I put it up for sale. I sold him a CU24 a couple years ago that I had to have back because it just had to be back in my collection as the SS needs to be in his.

I love SSS players but couldn't really make it work for me. I put it in his hands and "magic".

Mike can also do great things with set up. He made mine float and feel like it had fabulous playability.

Congrats!!

I will be interested to read any comparisons you do with a DC-3. I am always interested in that kind of info!!

The day I (sniff) traded away my DC3 to Rider, we had Bodia’s SS there and did a comparison. I came away feeling like the DC3 was a better guitar in every way besides sound, the SS just had the it factor.

I’m sure it’s the best Strat ever, but...honest...I’m not putting down Strats.

The thread’s about a member’s new SS, and I think it’s cool that he got one!

I'm not a Strat guy (I know, I said that already), but the Silver Sky reminded of what I love about Strat sounds. But if you're not after those, it wouldn't hold as much appeal. I can't say I was really after those sounds - I felt like I could get close enough w/what I had, but the whole package just blew me away.

I'm not a Strat guy (I know, I said that already), but the Silver Sky reminded of what I love about Strat sounds. But if you're not after those, it wouldn't hold as much appeal. I can't say I was really after those sounds - I felt like I could get close enough w/what I had, but the whole package just blew me away.

I guess I’m a “tone slut” because I love the sound of single coil, p90 and humbuckers!
To me, each has its place.

I’ve worked for years to develop a tone that reflects what I want to express in music; it simply goes down a sonic path that isn’t Strat. As you know, I don’t try to sound like anyone else, and don’t do covers. So I just don’t have a real use for one.

No criticism of Strats is implied or intended. I love them as played by many others. Ain’t agin’ ‘em!

True. I used a 70's Fender Strat exclusively for 23 years (no other electric guitars) and I never got used to the handling. I endured it because it sounded beautiful.

I didn't take to the Silver Sky either, though it's a much better build quality.

BTW
As for being able to discern a tonal difference between back cover on or off. Well, you wouldn't believe how impressed I am at that.

Back