NGD

markd21

My Custom 22 Wood Library showed up last night. Finally got around today to tweaking the set-up and taking some temporary pictures. I didn't feel like setting up all the lights like I normally do when photographing my PRS guitars. Anyway, here's the rundown:

Custom 22
Quilted 10-top/mahogany body
Autumn Sky finish
Hybrid hardware
Phase III tuners
58/15LT pickups
Indian Rosewood Neck/Fingerboard
Shell birds outlined with MOP
Black Paisley case w/ plush blue inside

I have to say that I think I have a new favorite pickup. The 58/15LT is AMAZING!!!!! The neck pickup has a smoky tone that is so smooth!! I was having such a blast riding the volume and just using the neck pickup for different lead textures while I jammed over a track. The bridge pickup - once I raised it a hair - gave me just enough to have exactly what I like to hear - a tone that could work for Southern Rock or early 80's "metal" (think NWOBHM).

I really like the 5-way blade also. I have this set-up on my P22, but usually I only use that guitar as my "acoustic". I never really gave it a go until today. I have to say that I found every position on the switch usable. Again, flipping around while playing over a jam track gave me an excellent variety of tones - all of which were very pleasing.

Next up? The rosewood neck. I LOVE me some rosewood neck. Before moving over to PRS my number one guitar was an EBMM Albert Lee HH with a rosewood neck. It was GLORIOUS!!! On a whole that Ernie Ball guitar was spectacular, but this CU22 BLOWS the ALHH out of the water in every way. The rosewood neck is so smooth, and, as usual the 25" scale is just SOOOOO comfortable.

I dig the Autumn Sky finish. I was worried it might be too red on the rim. Sometimes it looks like PRS just takes a cool stain, and then 'bursts it with a rim of RED. At certain angles the red is more noticeable than at others, but on a whole it's a balanced look. My wife made fun of me for obsessing over that detail. Her reaction was:

"OH MY GOD!! That guitar is beautiful and damn near perfection!!! You are SOOO picky!! Be happy and knock it off - I don't even see that much red!!!!!"

I had a good laugh, lol.

In truth, there is nothing THAT spectacular about this guitar. It's a PRS. It's amazing. Everything about this guitar screams tone and quality. It's beautiful to look at, and has flawless playability.

Here's a couple sub-par pictures. Better pics to come!!

SMOKING!!!! I think thats my favorite color right now. Congratulations!! Wow!

That’s a class act there!

SMOKING!!!! I think thats my favorite color right now. Congratulations!! Wow!

Thanks guys. I will admit that I am totally blown away by this one. Not sure what it is, but this one easily hangs with my beloved SC245 57/08 LTD. Yeah, it's gorgeous, but I just sat there and played it uninterrupted for an hour and 5 minutes. I NEVER just sit in the chair and noodle/play. I am always working on writing new material. This guitar was just oozing tone. Looking forward to playing it again tomorrow!!

SC245 57/08 LTD.
I’ve a McCarty from that run. I cannot overstate how amazing the tone is. And the best thing is that it’s inherent in the string vibration, not the pickups, cos it comes through very clearly when played acoustically. The pickups would simply translate and replicate all that.

I’ve a McCarty from that run. I cannot overstate how amazing the tone is. And the best thing is that it’s inherent in the string vibration, not the pickups, cos it comes through very clearly when played acoustically. The pickups would simply translate and replicate all that.

Oh, for sure. Every person I have let play my 245 has BEGGED me to sell it to them. That guitar is like a fine, ultra-vintage, classical instrument. I forget the wood rundown from that run, but MAN, did PRS knock that run out of the park!!

That top is full of character. I dig it!

I'm glad you are liking it. It seems like it hit the nail on the head for you.

That top is full of character. I dig it!

I'm glad you are liking it. It seems like it hit the nail on the head for you.

Thanks! Yeah, it really hit the nail on the head. I knew it would be cool, but not as inspiring as it is. THAT is what excites me about this guitar - it's an inspirational tool. I'm gonna make some good music on this beast!

Uber cool, the color is glowing hot but not reddish in those pictures on this fantastic top, plus a gorgeous IRW neck to boot.
Congrats, I think you found a new muse

Back