NGD

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
The wife and I made a little overnight trip to see a minor league hockey game Friday night. Usually, this trip involves a stop at our favorite candy store on the way down, but we routed differently and did the candy store on the way home. Very near the candy store is a guitar store that has taken quite a bit of my money. And they got a little more on Saturday...unplanned....

a10body.jpg

SE Angelus A10E. It was on my radar, but really under consideration for next year. But when we stopped, they had four - two black, two tortoiseshell. My wife liked the look of the tortoiseshell. I was fond of the black because it looks like Johnny Cash's signature Martin.

I played one of the tortoiseshells first - liked it, good sound, good action. But I figured I was there, I was going to try all four. Picked up the black one, hit one chord and my wife said, "Whoa..." Tried B2 and T2, and while they were close, neither sounded as good as this one. I wasn't sure I wanted to pull the trigger, but I kept telling myself if this one stands out, I should jump on it. The price turned out to be better than I've seen anywhere else, so I pulled the trigger. There was some confusion about whether there was a case or not, but the guys took a couple extra looks and found it.

I'm not great on acoustic shapes, so I'm not 100% certain if this is considered a dread or nought (see what I did there?), but it's not as boomy on the low end as the SE Angelus Custom and Larrivee that I have. To be fair, it's not as good as the Larrivee, but it's a different flavor and I wanted that. Should be a tad more focused for fingerstyle parts, and strummed chords should occupy a slightly different part of the mix.

Swweeeet!

Not a dread as those have a thicker waist, more squared-off lower and upper bouts, and different depth, among other differences.

Martin created the first Dreadnoughts (named after pre-WWI battleships) in 1916. Here's what a classic dreadnought looks like:

Last edited:
If one speaks to you, you've gotta get it! Congrats and enjoy!

s
p
ea
s

If one speaks to you, you've gotta get it! Congrats and enjoy!

Absolutely. It's not often that you run across one that snaps your head up - well, not often that *I* do. I thought it as soon as I hit the chord, but my wife's reaction just confirmed it. I sat here and played it on the couch for about 20 minutes tonight, and I could tell from the look on her face that she's still kind of stunned at the sound.

Again, it doesn't outpace my Larrivee, but it's a different beast. I talked to the guy at the shop about it, and I've said it enough that people are sick of hearing it from me, but I am in absolute awe at what PRS has pulled off with the SE acoustic line. I'm not sure there's a better value in acoustics out there. They're not as good as the top of the line acoustics, but they're not nearly as far away as the price would suggest.

And we have a new (non-white) couch since then, too. FINALLY...

Back