NGD Zach Myers SE not too happy so I’m sending it back for another. Would love some opinions!

IbbyShred

So I posted this on Reddit and tons of people suggested sending it back and it shouldn’t have left PRS QC etc... I’d love to hear what PRS owners think. I love the finishes on PRS guitars I see online but, I don’t have a dealer local. I typically purchase everything online and this is the first time one upset me. The sales engineer said he’ll personally screen the next one in different light then there professional photo booth. The pictures in the Imgur album start with the S.W. photos they provide me prior to shipping and then photos I took when it arrived today.

https://imgur.com/a/nRl8X

Yeah it’s not as subtle as the pictures lead on to be. I wouldn’t be happy with that top either.
Is that a ZM in your picture? It looks nice! Do your two top pieces have a high contrast like this? I know it’s a different color but the process should be the same right? I looked through a ton of pictures online of the ZM models in all the colors and I did see one or 2 similar to what I received but not as drastic.

Looks like someone mixed up some veneers...:eek:

Is there another one out there with the other two halves of these veneers??;)
Haha wouldn’t it be funny if someone did have another guitar with the exact opposite issue? I honestly wouldn’t mind if both the tops matched the top or the bottom. It’s the contrast between them that throws me off.

I think it is a cool looking guitar!

Nothing to do with QC at all, it is simply the angle you are viewing it from, and partly the lighting. If you look straight on, the flame looks even on both sides. If you view it from the neck looking down at the body, the flame disappears on the right and you can see that side's grain. If you view it from the bottom of the body, looking up towards the neck, the flame disappears on the left and you can see that side's grain. Like a hologram effect. cool looking to me.

My SE Tremonti has that same effect, and I kinda like it. It looks different from different viewing perspectives, and differing light. The sound and play-ability is too nice to even consider sending it back. :)

I understand if you don't like it, and Sweetwater has a great return policy. They'll make sure you are happy, so let us know about your replacement if you choose to send it back.

Nothing to do with QC at all, it is simply the angle you are viewing it from, and partly the lighting. If you look straight on, the flame looks even on both sides. If you view it from the neck looking down at the body, the flame disappears on the right and you can see that side's grain. If you view it from the bottom of the body, looking up towards the neck, the flame disappears on the left and you can see that side's grain. Like a hologram effect. cool looking to me.

My SE Tremonti has that same effect, and I kinda like it. It looks different from different viewing perspectives, and differing light. The sound and play-ability is too nice to even consider sending it back. :)

I understand if you don't like it, and Sweetwater has a great return policy. They'll make sure you are happy, so let us know about your replacement if you choose to send it back.
I appreciate your feedback! This is why I also wanted to post it here to get other people’s opinions. Especially people with first hand PRS experience. I get what your saying about viewing angles but honestly looking head on it looks the worse to me. I can get some of the flame and certain angles as long as there is really bright light that also brings the right side out but the left side is always prominent it seems no matter how I view it. Using the hologram reference it’s like the left side is always clear and the right side alternates from grey/green clouds to like a grey/green cloud with lines through it. I do plan to return it I’m just worried they all look like this and maybe all of the nice looking ones online are just based on the angles people snap photos at and the lighting in their homes.

The dealer pics don’t represent the pics you took. That’s why there’s a return policy.

That said, the back looks rad & I might keep it for that:)

Yeah, the SW pics do make it look more even. Aside from the looks, how do you like it?

Yeah, the SW pics do make it look more even. Aside from the looks, how do you like it?
So I typically play guitars with paper thin necks. primarily Ibanez. I actually like the feeling of this neck a lot. I wanted this guitar to give me something different from my typical metal / shreds styles. I’ve got a Egnater tweaker 15 and a 1x12 and a 4x12 with different speakers that I played it through. I like the pick ups and knob combinations I think if I get another I’ll probably swap them though for a push / pull set up with more options. I’ve never had a dual volume knob guitar and I can see that getting annoying. Switch placement and scale length are different for me and will take some getting used to. Overall I think it’s an awesome guitar that’s really why I’m asking everyone’s opinions. I mean realistically the issue with the top doesn’t effect what it’s intended to do.

Lol, just goes to show you, different strokes ....

The 4 knobs is what I wanted in the SE Tremonti. The ability to blend the pups using the volume knobs, to get the perfect tone in the pup selector switch middle position.

But, yes, you want to get a guitar that is right for you, for everything, sound, feel, and looks.

I’ve got a similar situation on my top. Doesn’t even stay in tune.
bIcEGNE.jpg

But this guitar just made the most beautiful track in a song I just recorded, out competing a USA Strat and a historic Les Paul. It’s now a treasured keeper forever. :)

Looking again, it looks like the grain wants to line up in the OP's pics. Definitely a camera issue between the pics...the pro shots from SW look amazing...if you follow some of the same flame lines from the SW pics and look at them in the OP's pics, there's definitely something wonky going on thereo_O

A pretty interesting phenomenon either way

Those are two different guitars. Sweetwater famously offers pictures of the exact model you get on a lot of guitars, too bad that’s not true for all models. Contact them, give them a chance to make it right.

It's definitely the same guitar. Although the flames disappear in the OPs pics, there are noticeable spots in the grain that line up in both sets of pics. The most telling is that figuring below the bridge, it is unique, and it is apparent in both sets of pics.

Is that a ZM in your picture? It looks nice! Do your two top pieces have a high contrast like this? I know it’s a different color but the process should be the same right? I looked through a ton of pictures online of the ZM models in all the colors and I did see one or 2 similar to what I received but not as drastic.

Mine does not contrast like yours at all. It’s nearly perfect

I'm pretty sure it's the same guitar (but with some impressive lighting skills from the SW team.) Does the serial number match the the serial on the SW pic?

Send it back...

If it were me, and I kept the guitar, it would annoy me every time I looked at it (which defeats the whole reason you buy a PRS)

Back