NGD....X2?!?!?!

BMiller

So for my birthday my incredibly awesome wife bought me an SE Angelus Custom and pulled and an epic prank on me (see the thread in the acoustic forum!!)

But this afternoon, after running errands (on my birthday and day off nonetheless!), we stopped by the GC because I wanted to buy a powered speaker. As I always do, I perused the used section. And then my jaw went limp, the drooling started, and my knees started to quack. Inside of a locked case, for an unbelievable price, was a '98 McCarty in Aquamarine. If nothing else, I had to play it....and I did. Such an easy instrument!! I knew that I had to have it but how do I convince the wife considering she just bought me a new acoustic???

So I bought my powered speaker and we left. But I could not get this guitar out of my head. She said "Give it two hours" so I did....the guitar and its incredible action was still on my mind....but how to pay for it? Turns out that she has been sitting on a Guitar Center credit card for almost a year now. Never activated nor did she ever tell me about it. Probably a good thing! But this deal was too good to pass up......

So I started the day the day with a new PRS acoustic and closed it out with a new to me McCarty (pics to come tomorrow!!!!)

By God my wife is awesome!!! And yes, I reciprocate!

Wow! That is a great story! What a great wife you have. Thanks for sharing.

I have a fantastic wife too, but this will never happen to me. That's ok though. I'm already spoiled.

You have a very considerate and understanding wife, now have you thought about your gift for her? :D

Do post pictures "pronto"

Congrats enjoy them in good health

Wow! Your wife is awesome! Congrats!
Oh, it's tomorrow...hurry up with those pics! :D

Awesome! That sounds like a great relationship you two have, and congrats on a double-header NGD! Pics, we need pics!

And it is tomorrow! Photobucket has been acting strange for me this morning, but here are some pics.....
IMG_0324_zpswft9y0xs.jpg

IMG_0323_zps5k9edg9l.jpg

In person the color isn't that dark.....I need to get some outdoor pics done when the clouds clear out.

Anyways, over breakfast my wife made me pinky promise not to buy any more guitars this year. I agreed to that (unless another too good to pass up deal falls in my lap again). She shook her head and laughed. Since the beginning of the year, I have sold off 14 guitars keeping only the '91 CU24 and the SE Tremonti Custom. I replaced those with a pair of CE's and now the new SE Angelus Custom and the McCarty. She has been very understanding about it.....I'm spoiled....

I'm all about moons on a McCarty... Congrats!

I had never seen moons in person until I saw this one. I really thought that "moons" were just what PRS referred to dots as and that some had crescents and some didn't. Well I was certainly wrong! I dig the moons just as much as the birds and dots.

The longer neck heel on the McCarty is a bit to get used to compared to the short heel of my '91 or the heels on the CEs. I'm really liking the different tones that I get out of compared to my other PRSi. They all sound great of course, but as I told my wife, they all bring something different to the table tone wise.

Score!

If the color actually lighter than that, it's probably Turquoise which is one of my faves. If it leans more to the green side, it's Teal Black.

Score!

If the color actually lighter than that, it's probably Turquoise which is one of my faves. If it leans more to the green side, it's Teal Black.

So I did a quick Google search on both of those colors and guess what, from the images posted I can't say for sure what the color is. In the next few days I was planning on changing the strings and looking under the hood to verify pickups and looking up the MODCAT info. All I know for sure is that the green is certainly eye catching and the flame maple top is spectacular (it would be a 10 if not for a few minor oddities).

So I did a quick Google search on both of those colors and guess what, from the images posted I can't say for sure what the color is. In the next few days I was planning on changing the strings and looking under the hood to verify pickups and looking up the MODCAT info. All I know for sure is that the green is certainly eye catching and the flame maple top is spectacular (it would be a 10 if not for a few minor oddities).

Yeah they can be hard to tell apart. '98 won't have a MODCAT, but the finish name will be written in pen in the bridge pickup rout.

Looks great. I love the early McCarty guitars.

Back