NGD X2 CE22 & CE24

Shizzrock

These are cool. I got a 2006 CE24 NOS, hangtag still on it, brand new time capsule! The thing is gorgeous, blazing copper finish, and I'm pretty sure the seller didn't do anything to it which means the setup from 12 years ago is still pretty damn good! I'm digging the HFS pickup, perfect balance of gain and clarity.
Next up is a 1996 CE22, with a wild blue holoflake finish. Back in the day I would go to the guitar store and drool at all the PRS hanging on the wall and wishing I had the dough to spring. Well now I do and it was worth the wait! I think this one has the wide/fat neck, which is still very playable but I think I prefer the wide/thin on the CE24. The fretboard on this one is a plus also, with some tasty blond streaks. The seller has 9s on it, so I gotta get it setup, but this one sounds great too. It's crazy to think these are the "entry" models and the build quality is this good.
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_9764.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_6924.JPG

Wow double score. I love the copper. I HAD a LP with a copper top natural back. I loved looking at it.

I agree with all of what you wrote except that CE's were supposed to be entry models. They were full blown PRS workhorses. They were lower priced but that was because they required less work. Not that they were less guitar.

man that holoflake is cool. I had't seen that before.

Oh man that orange is no joke! This forum causes soooo much jealousy. Love them both, but that orange is my jam. I found one used that I was about to buy and it went before I could commit. Not that I didn't snag lovely sea foam 305 to help ease the pain...

Oh man that orange is no joke! This forum causes soooo much jealousy. Love them both, but that orange is my jam. I found one used that I was about to buy and it went before I could commit. Not that I didn't snag lovely sea foam 305 to help ease the pain...
The color is truly unique, and so sleek. Seafoam is definitely on my list of awesome colors I want to get.

The color is truly unique, and so sleek. Seafoam is definitely on my list of awesome colors I want to get.
The sea foam with rosewood board had my GAS going pretty bad. I actually attempted to make some trades today for an orange ten top Mcarty soapbox but to be honest...I wasn't feeling it as much as I was hoping I would. If I stumble upon some blazing copper, that might be a different story. Enjoy those!

Those are both beautiful and certainly not lower end models.

That copper one is fantastic, that one's a all mahogany body isn't it? I also have a 2006 CE-24 thats all manogany body that I picked up late last year in NOS condition and must say there really is something about it that seems to be lacking in the 2016/17 CE-24's that I've played.

Here mine

That copper one is fantastic, that one's a all mahogany body isn't it? I also have a 2006 CE-24 thats all manogany body that I picked up late last year in NOS condition and must say there really is something about it that seems to be lacking in the 2016/17 CE-24's that I've played.

Here mine

I feel ya. Played an older CE today after playing a new one and noticed the body carve more than I thought I would. Maybe that's it?

Here mine

That one's real cherry! I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere mine is mahogany body with maple top. I never said they were lower end models, simply "entry" level in quotes. Because there is nothing low end about them! I've been playing the copper one some more (still waiting to get a setup for the holoflake) and I am in love with it. It literally makes me play better. The HFS is a great pickup. The only thing I will say about the new models is the CEs were almost twice as much back then, in 2006 dollars, so if you think about it the new ones are a different price point altogether.

I think the hot hues colors that were introduced in 2006 were originally only used on the the all mahogany bodied CE models.

Excerpt from a CE-24 review.

Effectively a bolt-on Standard 24, the CE Mahogany 24 definitely falls into the player's category. It's a plain Jane but that's the appeal.Oh, and the price of course. At £1,599 (with a 'street' price that'll no doubt be closer to £1,300), and clearly aimed at a younger player, the CE Mahogany is an 'entry-level' USA-made PRS. Far from a fancy guitar, it still uses a select one-piece South American mahogany body, quarter-sawn (for maximum stiffness) one-piece maple neck with a nice slab of orange-tinged Indian rosewood fingerboard, punctuated with pearl dots - not moons or birds. Without a maple top, and with its opaque finish, there's purity to the lines of the PRS body that isn't dissipated by fancy wood grain. But the CE Mahogany's return brings new technology to the table in terms of the four 'Hot Hues' colours (offered along with 12 more standard opaques and 'bursts) developed by DuPont for the hot-rod market.

"It is actually a complete finish system, but we are just using the colour, not the clear," relates PRS President Jack Higgenbotham.

"It is more user-friendly than any other metallic colour we've ever sprayed. We were so impressed that we brought back the CE Mahogany guitar offered, primarily, in the Hot Hues colours."

my 2006 catalog doesn't have the color options pages but does show the CE-22 in Blazing Copper like yours and CE-24 in Cappucino and the price list I have doesn't list Blazzing Copper as an option on the CE-24 Maple Top.
https://flic.kr/p/DEVsm4

Back