NGD - Wood Library 10 Top 594

I've actually just given my satin finish guitar a light polish over the top to get it all to the same level of gloss. Could have gone the fine steel wool route but thought it would only buff up again, at least this way I don't have to worry about it, and can always do the steel wool at some later date
That's the route I'd go as well.

Noob question maybe... But don't you have to refinish the guitar after using steel wool?

No, the very fine steel wool, applied carefully and gently mind, only dulls the finish that is there, it doesn't remove it. Turns gloss back into a satin.

I would debate with you on this.

Application of treatment with any abrasive, will result in removal of material, no matter how slight.

Therefore, use of even the finest wire wool, does remove some of the lacquer. Granted it may be minimal. However, repeated treatments may result in removing enough finish to go through to bare wood.

Not a process for the “weak-hearted”!
Tone-y is right on with his reply. Alnus - yeah, you're technically right. But really, when you use the steel wool I mentioned, I didn't really even put any pressure when doing it. Leave the wool loosely balled up, fingers never even touch or put pressure on the body.

Back