NGD with a Problem

Hey guys,

I just got a 2002 Custom 24 off ebay. The guitar arrived today, but it looks like it had a bumpy ride here because one of the trem mounting screws' heads had popped off and was laying right there on the trem plate. I suspect the previous owner didn't know how to properly set up the trem, because the springs were attached in a weird way, and the mounting screw height was inconsistent. I'm sure this is what caused the one screw head to break off. My question is, can I get these screws at any other place besides the PRS store online? Not really patient enough to pay ~$40 for one screw and wait for shipping, I want to play this thing!

Thanks and pics soon!

Even if it's $40 ( which I seriously doubt, the shipping will be blazing fast ) call the PTC. They're amazing !

hit your local guitar store/ repair tech. May have some. otherwise you will need to order from prs or got back on eBay. Maybe a member here can help you out.

No. Pay the money and get the right screw, a regular fender-ish trem screw ain't gonna do it. These screws have a channel milled into them that the knife edges of the trem rest on. If ol' boy you bought it from messed with them you should absolutely replace all of them. Holler at John Mann of John Mann's Guitar Vault and MannMade.

Last edited:
Ok ok you've convinced me. No need to cut corners. Going to get some pickup rings and knobs too, so I'll post again when I swap everything and give it a good setup. Thanks for the replies.

Are you talking about one of the six knife-edge screws the trem rests on?

If so, I would be worried that the trem might be fooked up...?

I tell everyone who buys a used PRS that they owe a proper PTC set up to themselves. We save money by capitalizing on the used market, why not have a good quality set up bring it to a factory fresh place. It'll literally feel like it just rolled off the 2014 assembly line when Skitchy, Len and the boys are done with it!

Yes, it's one of the knife edge screws. To my untrained eye, everything looked fine with the trem itself when I took it out last night.
The seller was a guitar store in another state, so no problem contacting them. I'm not looking for a refund or anything, I really like the guitar.
Yes, a trip to the PTC would be great, but that will have to come later since I don't want to put any more money into this one and because I'm enjoying fixing it myself.
Thanks for the comments and help guys!

So I contacted the seller, and they've offered to "pay for any repairs from a professional repair shop" .... Soooo PTC? Right?

Here's the thing: if all the PTC is going to do is unscrew the broken screw and screw the new one in and give it a setup, it's not really worth the hassle to me. But, if they find any damage and need to replace, say, the whole trem, that's a different and expensive situation. So, my new question is, can you guys give me some things to look for as far as damage to the trem/knife edge goes? I need to see if it's worth it to me.
Also, I've never worked with PTC before. What do you think the timeline on something like this is?

Thanks!

So I contacted the seller, and they've offered to "pay for any repairs from a professional repair shop" .... Soooo PTC? Right?

Here's the thing: if all the PTC is going to do is unscrew the broken screw and screw the new one in and give it a setup, it's not really worth the hassle to me. But, if they find any damage and need to replace, say, the whole trem, that's a different and expensive situation. So, my new question is, can you guys give me some things to look for as far as damage to the trem/knife edge goes? I need to see if it's worth it to me.
Also, I've never worked with PTC before. What do you think the timeline on something like this is?

Thanks!
Given the seller offered that, definitely go PTC...it's the smartest choice, they will go over everything and make sure it's all good. Their set-up are great. As much as it sucks to be without a brand new guitar for a bit, it's the most reasonable thing to do, sending it back to the manufacturer. Contact PRS PTC, tell them what's going on to get timeline. probably depends on backlog, but I can't imagine it would be too long.

Back