NGD: Whoopee!

Just thought I’d follow up on this since I was kinda lackadaisical about purchasing this.

This guitar f@cking rules! It’s still totally stock and I’ve been bringing it out a bunch while my band is writing some new stuff.

This with the DG30 and some compression is pretty amazing sounding, it totally fills my “strat” needs. I think it was the best choice for me to make after trading away my DC3. There’s kind of an inherent sh!ttyness to the pickups that I’m really enjoying in comparison to the somewhat “too hifi” sound of those black DC3/305/513 single coils and the Lace in my KL33 that just sounds so right.

It still takes a bit of adjustment to not hit the knobs and blade selector but, aside from the stiff-@ss volume pot... it’s kinda good as it is without any mods.

I thought my dream PRS “strat” was a 305 until I played one, then I thought it was gonna be the DC3, and ideally it would be... but man, the SE EG might be all I needed, and for chump change!

...There’s kind of an inherent sh!ttyness to the pickups that I’m really enjoying...

...and for chump change!

The price of old “gold foil” pickups, and the new retro stuff, has skyrocketed.

Years ago I “helped” a friend by replacing the crummy pickups on his “Refrigerator” head Kay with decent humbuckers. I threw away the stock pu’s.

He may be cursing my name every day, now.

The price of old “gold foil” pickups, and the new retro stuff, has skyrocketed.

Years ago I “helped” a friend by replacing the crummy pickups on his “Refrigerator” head Kay with decent humbuckers. I threw away the stock pu’s.

He may be cursing my name every day, now.

I’ve thrown away Big Muffs and Sovtek Phase shifters in the past, along with all kinds of bits and pieces.

But look at it this way: We actually helped other people make more money but making things scarce.

No bag, no bar, no big deal.

yPbp0TM.jpg

Here’s that SE EG I won on eBay. Incredibly clean for an almost... uhh... I really have no idea how old it is. The serial starts with an F, so 2006? Whatever.

It’s fun, I like these old first gen SE’s for the big necks and relatively stripped down feature set, and find them comfortable to play. The pickups and hardware are nothing mind blowing but... hey, $350 shipped and at least it’s not a Strat.

.... well, it kinda is. I might buy a new pick guard so I can move the volume knob to more of a DC3 positioning but other than that, I’m gonna rape my parts drawer for everything else.

And honestly, it doesn’t sound any better or worse than any of the other S-type guitars PRS made before the SS so...

Hooray for me.
The armcut flat SE body is one of the most comfortable guitars I’ve ever played, hands down.

I’ll have to guess that throwing out old pickups is quite an adrenaline high.

If you think you can handle the rush, I have a bunch of old studio gear in my storage room that probably could get tossed out. My wife would thank you.

Where’s the adrenaline in that?
You could at least scowl threateningly at me while you file your nails during the bonfire...

Cooool guitar! Get some cool stratish sounds... and a humbucker in the bridge position! Every kid on the block had one of those in the 80’s! Lol. I’m old :eek: Enjoy it !!

Back