NGD: Vela

yankeebulldog

I don't like to get that specific
Just got this one in yesterday to cover some Alt Rock tones I'll need for an upcoming project:

Only played it a little last night but love the tones so far. The bridge PU split tones are awesome. I also dig the neck pickup, some of the best sounding tones singlecoil tones I've heard out of a PRS.

Wonderful. I'm getting in love with that color. Would like to hear for some more youtube demos, which are still missing.

Niiiiice!

Although my guitar GAS has subsided for now (I'm on an accessory-oriented GAS mission now), the Vela is very intriguing. Love that Seafoam Green color...

Is the neck pup an original Starla pup? Sweet guitar.
No, the neck is some kind of DeArmond style pickup I think. Great singlecoil tones, and also rather quiet compared to a traditional F-style pickup. The bridge looks to be a Starla except it has a coil tap.

No, the neck is some kind of DeArmond style pickup I think. Great singlecoil tones, and also rather quiet compared to a traditional F-style pickup. The bridge looks to be a Starla except it has a coil tap.

All Starla pickups are coil tapped, Core and S2.

I would wager this is an S2 Starla pickup, which is voiced slightly differently than the original Core/US wound model.

PRSh said that the S2 Starla was meant to sound like a "Teisco DelRay on steroids" - whereas the original Starlas were very much influenced by the "Tron" sound and the world of Gretsch tones, but more modern/hi-fi.

I do keep wondering about one of these, and I also keep wondering how I can get my hands on some of those single coils for some modding action...

Oh cool score by the way!

Very cool Alan, these intrigue me purely on the different tones alone. Congrats!

Man, I was so close to buying one of these.....

But I got the singlecut instead. More suitable to my sound.

But thats a damn sexy guitar you have there!

Back