NGD: Tremonti 10-Top Fretboard Flaw?

Headset

Guitarrista
I finally received my special order after 2+ months and the guitar sounds amazing! However, immediately upon viewing the guitar I noticed a white substance on the bottom portion of the fretboard. My sales rep grabbed some lemon oil and wiped at it which helped but there's still some there as you can see in the second picture. My rep thinks it's compound or putty that wasn't wiped off the fretboard and that it should come off after a while. My question is how can I remove this and what is it?

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

Last edited:
Are my images not working? Can I just paste the links directly into a message instead? They definitely work...

You need the actual image address - your link goes to the page. If you right-click on the image, you should have to option to get the image address or open it in a new tab. The image address ends in .jpg.

I think your rep is right - it's just something that didn't come out completely. I'd think a small, soft brush and some care would take care of that. I've had that on some of mine - just never cared enough to try to remove it.

IMG_1635.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg

I finally received my special order after 2+ months and the guitar sounds amazing! However, immediately upon viewing the guitar I noticed a white substance on the bottom portion of the fretboard. My sales rep grabbed some lemon oil and wiped at it which helped but there's still some there as you can see in the second picture. My rep thinks it's compound or putty that wasn't wiped off the fretboard and that it should come off after a while. My question is how can I remove this and what is it?

h8gpWk

fv2UWk

My latest guitar had the same. It's just excess polishing compound. My shop cleaned it up no problem. Not sure what they used, but my go-to would be naptha.

Are my images not working? Can I just paste the links directly into a message instead? They definitely work...

You have to go down to Embed Codes and copy/paste the BBCode:

Code:
[url=https://ibb.co/h8gpWk][img]https://thumb.ibb.co/h8gpWk/IMG_1635.jpg[/img][/url]

Or, open the image so you get the full address ending in jpg (https://image.ibb.co/ntASHQ/IMG_1635.jpg) and use the insert image option on the editor here.

Thanks for the help everyone much appreciated! The guitar is amazing and I'm glad to hear it should just come off :)

Yeah, looks like a bit of excess polish. I imagine it will go away with regular playing.

I was going to come up with some tale about how it has ruined the guitar, but because the dealer tried to clean it up the warranty is void, so you better just send it to me and I'll give you 50% value to take it off your hands, etc, because, Wow, that is a nice looking guitar!

But I got lazy, so:

Wow! That is a nice looking guitar! Faded Blue Jean? Love the flamed top!

Great, now I have Tremonti GAS again.

:D

Yeah, looks like a bit of excess polish. I imagine it will go away with regular playing.

I was going to come up with some tale about how it has ruined the guitar, but because the dealer tried to clean it up the warranty is void, so you better just send it to me and I'll give you 50% value to take it off your hands, etc, because, Wow, that is a nice looking guitar!

But I got lazy, so:

Wow! That is a nice looking guitar! Faded Blue Jean? Love the flamed top!

Great, now I have Tremonti GAS again.

:D
Hahaha, awesome post my friend! It's faded whale blue ten top

I am confused. that guitar should have never left the final inspection area at the factory.
I've been under the impression that these instruments are built to perfection.
I'm new to the PRS. cult

I am confused. that guitar should have never left the final inspection area at the factory.
I'm new to the PRS. cult

To be honest, I'm not sure of the process but my impression is that it was sloppily finished. I know who did the final check on my guitar, if PRS really plays every guitar as a final check I'm not sure why this made it off the floor. Even if it's purely cosmetic and comes off right away it did affect my initial impression of the guitar. After spending a sizable amount of money on a custom order (so they knew it was going directly to a customer) I'm surprised this made it through their process. However, if it's common and minimal then I guess it's not really an issue. Everything else on the guitar seems expertly crafted which again makes me think they didn't care about the compound on the fretboard at all.

I'm new to the PRS. cult

You're saying that a little polishing compound dust on a fretboard somehow compromises the build quality? I dunno.

Perfection is rarely obtained on Earth.

Maybe your home planet is different... :rolleyes:

I'm new to the PRS. cult

If it were me, I would compare this to picking up your new car from the dealer, and there being a smidge of wax in a trim seam. I'm stoked about the car, and don't cast aspersions at the dealership.

I see that all the time (albeit in small amounts) in the pores of rosewood fretboards and necks. I always assumed it was polish used on the gloss finished parts of the guitar. I understand the comments about quality control, or fit and finish. If the compound or polish (or whatever it is) was deemed by them to not be detrimental to the instrument, they may have elected to avoid "over finishing" an otherwise excellent instrument (it is beautiful, by the way), and just leave it to be taken care of by normal handling in a typical play wear area. In any event, congrats on the NGD!

Back