NGD! Traded all of my Gibsons for 2 PRSi

Nice gear! Congrats, and welcome to the "non-Gibson" club! I gave up my Gibsons quite some time ago and have never looked back. As for having a Les Paul, I was an LP addict for many years, but I've since found very viable substitutes that fit that palette quite well without finding the need to have one again.

cjmwrx, congrats! I share your sentiments about the standard - my plain-jane 93 with dots is the best sounding guitar I own, and I was surprised at how different it sounds from the 92 custom I just picked up. I learned my lesson and will never get rid of an American PRS again, but if the world was ending, they would have to pry that standard from my cold, dead hands!

a 24 will not have the girth of a Les Paul.

girth.jpg

292709255HfXYka_fs.jpg

I do dig R9s.

Last edited:
Well, since my comment seems to have grabbed some attention, I reference Mr. Smith of Annapolis who has said repeatedly that everything effects everything and that the pickups are a microphone of the guitar's natural sound.

I think it would be a fair conclusion to say that the classic singlecut style body of thicker mahogany and shorter scale length neck is going to naturally produce a different sound than that of the Cu24, whose scale length is longer...the mahogany is not nearly as thick (ever see the cross section of a Custom? The maple is about as thick as the mahogany at the body's thickest point). And the trem vs. the stop-tail is another BIG factor in the tonal equation.

I did not seek to deride the OP's new guitar, but I've read too many posts from Gibson fans who try PRS Customs and come to the disappointing conclusion that it fails to live up to their expectations as they relate to their Gibbys.

I admittedly have not had the pleasure of trying the new PRS numbered pickups, but I would guess (and I'm sure Mr. Smith would agree) that if you took the same set of pickups and installed them in both a Cu24 and a 58, one would hear marked differences in tone and, dare I say "girth".
I can hear the difference immediately between my McCarty and my SC245 (unplugged), and I'd bet the difference would be even more obvious between my 245 and a Cu24.

I'm glad to read a 'happy ending' story in this case, where a (former) Gibson owner is absolutely happy with his new Cu and St 24 guitars!

~Peace

RJLII....NEVER BASH YOURSELF or YOUR ABILITYS IN PUBLIC...... EVERYONE ELSE OUT HERE WILL BE ONLY TO HAPPY TO DO IT FOR YOU. IF YOU'RE PROUD OF WHAT YOU PLAY...WE WILL BE TOO!!!

Sweet!

+1 Lust for the Standard ( I can't figure out how to smiley drool, but believe me I am )

Great start to PRS guitars: I've got serious GAS for a 'Hog guitar at the moment. The Cu24 is sweet too mate, enjoy 'em :)

Back