NGD: This Copper’s on Fire

I'm really surprised you don't hear a vast difference between those two bridge pickups.

Are you by chance using a lot of overdrive?

I'm really surprised you don't hear a vast difference between those two bridge pickups.

Are you by chance using a lot of overdrive?

Or better yet, what amp are you using?

I’m using a Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp and 50/50 power amp. I don’t use the bridge much on the clean channel, I stick to the neck pickup or a blend. There I do notice quite a bit of difference. But I didnt really spend any time on the bridge in clean, so I can’t remember what it sounded like. On the lead channel is where it sounded pretty similar to my memory.

Now, there’s two issues with that. 1) my memory, which should never be truly relied on for audio comparisons a day or two apart. Even minutes make a difference. 2) The Mesa pre has its own sound, especially with higher gain and the graphic EQ. Both of which I was using.

So my comment earlier wasn’t even remotely comprehensive, and I didn’t wade into the specifics of the circumstances under which I didn’t notice much of a different between pickups.

The copper is Sick! A couple of coats of Butcher Wax on the neck should give you all the protection you need. Rock that bad boy!

Ok, so last update for now. New VB/HFS pickups are in with contrasting ivory pickups rings. I think it's a great look on the guitar. Only thing left to decide is whether to keep the solid speed knobs, or move to black/clear lampshades. I prefer lampshades in general, but there's something about the look of the stock ones on this guitar.

SC7Q5q2.jpg

Regarding the pickup swap, so far the Dragon II treble and HFS don't sound that different to my ears. Granted, it was a day or so in between listening to one vs the other, so my memory could be forgetting a lot. I want a little more high-end still - but I'll start tweaking pickup and pole piece height. I will not go down a pickup rabbit hole. The VB I think is an improvement to the Dragon II bass. Little more attack there, and I'm happy with it.

Also, although I'd like to have a stern talk with the previous owner for sanding down the neck and leaving it unprotected raw maple, it really is super smooth and comfortable. I might just *gasp* leave it.

Alright, enough copper talk for now. More playing required.

TOTALLY WICKED!
Yes on Lampshades btw ;)

Back