NGD.... "technically"

Aw yeah! Another joins the masses at the bottom of the slippery slope!! Did you just pull the trigger on that? I was looking at one that looked just like that on Reverb a couple of hours ago!

Yep... just before I posted.

I hope none of us find that theoretical threshold the hard way... LoL!

IT can be done...;)
DSC01320_zpsf12b100b.jpg

Oh it's definitely possible, but you don't have worry about it snapping off if the guitar gets knocked off a stand.

Really digging your collection, Billy. The S2 is slick and that tele is nice. Although, that guitar in the background leaning up against the brick on the hardwood is giving me anxiety.

Really digging your collection, Billy. The S2 is slick and that tele is nice. Although, that guitar in the background leaning up against the brick on the hardwood is giving me anxiety.

You don't want none of that.

That's a First Act my daughter got me. She went to a yard sale, saw it thought I'd like it. It's got a nice neck, nut & bridge... the body is solid but acoustically, nothing special.

I'm going to stick an old JB I've got in her & see how she does through an amp. But it'll most likely become wall art in the garage.

You don't want none of that.

That's a First Act my daughter got me. She went to a yard sale, saw it thought I'd like it. It's got a nice neck, nut & bridge... the body is solid but acoustically, nothing special.

I'm going to stick an old JB I've got in her & see how she does through an amp. But it'll most likely become wall art in the garage.

I mostly meant its perched a bit precariously. It's a bit anxiety inducing to see a guitar (even an affordable one) resting with the back on brick and the base on a wood floor.

The S2's are very nice and that one almost reminds me of an SG. Great choice. You are going to absolutely love the McCarty. Non-believers constant rag on PRS for not having a signature sound like a start, tele or lester. I would consider the sound of the McCarty "that sound", a real rock and blues machine. Enjoy them both. Two good choices and if you are in the mood for a third, the new CE 24 is also a very nice guitar.

Non-believers constant rag on PRS for not having a signature sound like a start, tele or lester.

If I'm being honest, I'm one of those guys. Like I said earlier, I've never had the inclination to buy a PRS. Part of the reason, most likely, is I've been chasing the tone of guys who weren't playing PRS back in the day.

Santana is the only mainstream PRS player I like, but I'm more interested in his p90 Gibson tone (through the Fender Super) than I am in his current super saturated tone.

But buying these guitars, I think I'll be going off book & finding my own tone.

Love the looks of the S2 and a black Mac just has the cool vibe to it. Love my McStandards.

So the S2 Standard showed up.

20170609_180543-jpg.431792

Loving it so far.... everything I thought it would be & then some.

A week later.

Something happened with the S2 that I can't explain. When I got it I felt like it was a nice guitar. Nothing special. But nice.

The craftsmanship was pretty good. Great really except when I removed the spring cover on the back there's glops of paint around the edges of the route. The kind of thing you see when people know something isn't going to be seen so they "let it go." Which is not what I expect from PRS, a company whose reputation is built on their attention to detail.

Not a big deal, but I haven't even taken off the pick guard, but now I'm expecting more of the same.

I know the first response I'm going to get is, what do you expect on lower priced guitars... my answer is not this. I don't see this on my Korean guitars, don't see it on my Mexican made guitars, & is be upset if I found it on my American Fenders which are made in the same price range.

Doesn't affect anything really, it's covered up. But it's definitely a lack of attention to detail, that's all I'm saying.

So anyway, the tone wasn't there. My first thought was the setup. There was quite a bit of buzzing. The saddles were adjusted all the way down & it looks like the previous owner raised the 6 bridge screws up a tad to set the height on the bridge end. I didn't mess with it, but filed it in the back of my mind as something I might play with if it gets to it.

There was no neck relief. Again, maybe the previous owner's preference, no big deal. Or maybe the neck was just reacting to SE Texas climate. It's very humid here & it came from Wisconsin.

I went to adjust the truss rod, but realized I would need an adjustment tool as I didn't have one. All my other guitars that I've adjusted use an Allen wrench. So I ordered the tool. Well, when the McCarty showed up, it came with a tool, so I used it.

It helped a little. The buzzing was gone, but the acoustic tone of the guitar just wasn't there. It wasn't shrill or thin, it was a useable tone, just not what I prefer, or expected from a one piece mahogany bodied guitar.

It should be warmer. It should sing. It should be thick & resonant. It wasn't dead sounding. But it wasn't "alive if you know what I mean.

I decided I would change the strings. I've been playing D'Addario 10-46 for 15 years. I don't know what's installed on this guitar, but the ball end says they aren't D'Addario. The feel like 10s... But they sounded like a dead set of 8s.

I didn't have a set so I bought a box on the way home from work yesterday. However, I decided to play her one more time before I changed the strings & low and behold she's singing her ass off.

I mean she's got that sweet Anita Baker sultry, take off your clothes kinda thing going on now. Where before she was Brittney Spears. You know, can carry a tune but doesn't really move you. If not for the eye candy, you'd have turned the channel kind of thing.

I literally did nothing to the guitar from the time I put her down Thursday to the time I picked her up Friday afternoon.

Last edited:
I have a Gibson SG that is the same. Phenomenal guitar when it wants to be, but completely uninspiring on others.

In my case, humidity swings cause the relief to change and this affects the string height over the pickups which changes the sound and sometimes quite dramatically. It is my only guitar with a thinner neck and the only one that does this...

Ever since you said that, the little switch tip has been bugging the crap out of me. So I switched it.

20170625_131457-jpg.435150

Next... them tuners.

Get the direct replacement lockers from Mann.
I bought a set for my Mccarty but I've got a nut to replace on it so I haven't put them on yet.. it's killing me too since I put the 8515s in it.

Back