NGD.... "technically"

RevBillyG

Decided to buy an S2 Standard 24. No reason, just browsing the internets saw a good deal, pulled the trigger. This is a photo off the site. 2014 S2 Standard 24. I'm saying technically because this literally happened a few hours ago & I'm not in possession of the guitar yet.

009253A.jpg

I've never really cared for PRS. My path to guitar started with Prince took a big jump to Slash, then Billy Duffy, kinda backtracked to Billy Gibbons, SRV, Santana, Hendrix, George Lynch. So I've spent most of my time with "traditional" guitars & hot rods.

I've always liked PRS as a company. I love listening to PRSh talk about guitars. & I've always appreciated the aesthetics of a PRS guitar. Just never cared to own one. I got close. I bought a Dean Hardtail select back in the day. I was looking for that thin bodied mahogany maple thing. But I wanted 24.75" scale length & two volume, two tone knobs. PRS came around with those features a little later. But I'd already moved on.

So... what got me looking at this guitar? My birthday is coming up, for one thing. I thought about buying another Les Paul. I've got a '98 HCS Standard & a 2010 Classic Goldtop. I was thinking I'll bite the bullet & splurge for an R8 with peekaboo flame. Desert or tobacco burst, maybe bourbon.

& I said, heck... that's a lot of money, even used. I wonder what else I could get for that kind of money. I came across some very fine Black Gold McCartys (McCarties, McCarti).

Then I thought... if I'm going to spend that much money, might as well get my dream guitar. Chocolate Flamed BC Rich Mockingbird.

bcr_mocksprm_stnblk4A7.jpg

Then I got to thinking.... as I sat on my sofa noodling away on my $200 Chinese single cut... I don't "play" my "expensive" guitars now. I play my Korean Mockingbirds, while my American Mockingbirds stay in their cases. I play my Korean Hardtail while my American Hardtail stays in its case. I play my Chinese Las Paul, while my Gibsons stay in their cases.& none of those cost what I'm planning on spending.

I came to the realization, that even though I can swing it, I'm not comfortable using anything I've spent more than $800 on, on a "daily" basis. So I started looking at another Korean Mockingbird... SE PRS, used Strats/Teles (truth be told, I just bought an MIM Cabronita two weeks ago). & this morning, I saw this S2 Standard.

& here I am. Can't wait to get my hands on her.

& just because, this is what my Dean Hardtail Select looks like in case you're wondering. Again, not mine, but I love this picture. I don't have these skills.

IMG_2263_1024x1024.JPG

Here's my camera work

20170205_220153-jpg.232303

Last edited:
Nice guitars! Can't wait to hear how the PRS stacks up.

I think you'll find any PRS will make you glad you didn't pickup the Chinese Lester. ;) A vintage white Mira ROCKS. :cool:

I'm glad you've finally seen the light! ;) I agree, not much point in splashing out for something you're not going to play. I love the S2 series. Serious bang for the buck, so I think you'll be very pleased with it.

Goodbye Mockingbirds and Gibson's, hello PRS.

I do hope I really enjoy this guitar.

But I'm pretty sure I won't be parting with my Gibson & Mockingbirds. Worst case, they'll stay in their cases more often.

I love them, just overly cautious of damaging them. I've broken the headstock on my '98 Standard twice already.

Some of the Korean stuff... it's been awhile since I've thinned the heard, so maybe.

I do hope I really enjoy this guitar.

But I'm pretty sure I won't be parting with my Gibson & Mockingbirds. Worst case, they'll stay in their cases more often.

I love them, just overly cautious of damaging them. I've broken the headstock on my '98 Standard twice already.

Some of the Korean stuff... it's been awhile since I've thinned the heard, so maybe.

It is very difficult to break the headstock on a PRS. I'm just sayin'. :cool:

Well, I done screwed up. The first one hasn't even shipped & I've already bought my second PRS.

fti4t3lwtaqopfiddy4x.jpg

dmj8n7eqqp4fdefqiz4c.jpg

Aw yeah! Another joins the masses at the bottom of the slippery slope!! Did you just pull the trigger on that? I was looking at one that looked just like that on Reverb a couple of hours ago!

Back