NGD: SW SE Custom 24-08

60s Pop Man

What if everyone who purchased a new guitar told the world about it? How many new posts would this generate here and in other forums? The upside would be a boat load of images to review which is always enjoyable for me.

The Sweetwater exclusive SE Custom 24-08 arrived yesterday. The design of the 24-08 with its TCI S pickups was appealing but the wide thin neck was a concern as a pattern vintage neck profile (or U neck in the Fender universe) is home to me. I had a chance to feel a wide thin neck on a different model locally and it was remarkably comfortable to play but still not my preference.

After the unboxing, my expectations were exceeded in build quality and playability. The quilted maple faded blue burst is stunning. The wide thin neck is indeed very comfortable to play single note runs, 3-4 note chords, and fingerstyle jazz comping.

The TCI S pickups are robust and articulate. The splint coil tones provide very useable single coil twang. Despite the three-piece body and neck construction, the overall build quality feels like that of a substantially more expensive instrument.

To date, my S2 594 is the best built guitar in my arsenal. This SE custom 24-08 has become a new favorite for its tonal versitility and smooth tremolo.

Last edited:
Back