NGD: SusStudio

sergiodeblanc

There’s a guitar that’s been on my mind, all the time, Sus, sus, Studio… Oh oh oh!

I’ve been browbeating @Bowtiefanatc about this guitar for… I dunno, a “pandemic year”? Seems longer than that but, sh!t time has lost all meaning to me now.

Anyhow, Chris gave up the ghost finally, and sent me this for my HB Spruce. I’ve kinda come to the conclusion that I’m just a trem guy, and nothing is ever gonna change that. I’ve also been on a single coil PRS journey for a few years, went through most of them, and figured I needed to snatch one of these.

I had one in the house years ago and loved it, but it had a nasty headstock repair that I could never see past, so I turned it away thinking I’d wait until the right one became available… sh!t, that took awhile.

Much like the HB Spruce that I traded for this, there was a period of time where you could barely give these away… then they became rare AF and expensive (of course!) And the chances of finding one that ticked every box was, ehhh.. complicated.

It took me a few days to readjust to Annapolis era PRS, there are enough little things that have changed over the years, and when you add them all up… it’s almost like they’re totally different guitars. From the headstock angle, to the neck profiles, the softened contours, the OG nut, electronics (obviously), and hardware, it all adds up to a different (but familiar) recipe.

In hindsight, I dunno why these didn’t catch on. I believe they were only produced for like, 5 years, and were only a legit model for a few of those until it just became a “Studio package/option”, which is a shame because it’s f@ckin Bangin’!

Brazzy, MilCom, wings, sweet switch, wafer switch, yadda yadda… Oh, I changed the knobs. Get one, but you can’t have this one.

Nice score! I suppose eventually I may snag one of these, since I seem to have a desire to have "one of everything".

And I believe congrats would therefore be in order to @Bowtiefanatc for picking up a sweet Spruce HB. I see the thread you created, will read it shortly. I have one of those, and it is a great guitar!

I’ve kinda come to the conclusion that I’m just a trem guy
So here's a weird thing - I was a "gotta have a trem" guy too for yonks. Mainly because Mr. David Gilmour is my guitar inspiration, and most of the time he uses the trem quite tastefully (i.e. when he's not using a stop tail/equivalent like a Tele).

But more and more I find I don't "need" it. Dunno whether it is the style I am playing (mostly our own songs), but although I still love to rock out playing Comfy Numb and wailing on those solos, it hasn't become (or remained?) a defacto part of my personal style.

Back