NGD: SusStudio

I guess my picking hand naturally rests right on top of the middle pickup
So @sergiodeblanc and the others who are bothered by the middle pickup, is this the reason for you that it bothers you?

That makes perfect sense to me if that's the issue. I guess I move around so much that I assumed others did as well.

I'd guess that if you have one place you like to put your arm and hand and the middle pickup is in the way, it may even be because you've become conditioned by 2 HB guitars to pick in that area because it is an open spot, so the spot you're used too suddenly has something in the way with a middle pickup. Or, maybe that's just where your hand falls naturally when putting your arm in your favored position. Thoughts?

I'm just in love with the middle pickup of the NF3. I've said this before, but I think the single biggest upgrade you could do to any 2 HB PRS is add a middle NF pickup. But it sounds incredible and doesn't bother me, so of course I'd think that. If it bothered me, I probably wouldn't feel quite the same. But I'd put it on every one of mine if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I also vary my strumming/picking position, going from right beside the bridge all the way up to the 12th fret and beyond, because that brings out different tonalities.
I do exactly the same thing for the same reasons. I often pick right in the middle of the effective string length when soloing if I'm going for the smoothest fattest sound. But depending on where you are on the fretboard, that "middle" moves all over the place.

I dunno...maybe I'm doing it wrong. I tend to sort of rest the tip of my pinky on the middle and bridge pickups on the SS and I do the same on the bridge pickup ring on the SE 245. All depending of course, on what I'm playing. But Imma big ol' hack YRMV.

Last edited:
I dunno...maybe I'm doing it wrong. I tend to sort of rest the tip of my pinky on the middle and lower pickups on the SS and I do the same on the bridge pickup ring on the SE 245. All depending of course, on what I'm playing.
Not wrong if it works for you. It looks like there are lots of ways of doing it, which is why I didn't understand why some guys didn't like a middle pickup. I asked, and now I know. And, there must be lots of guys who do what you do, because I can't begin to tell you how many used guitars I've seen in stores, that had TONS of marks on the pick guard right by the bridge pickup. And I mean, right next to it. Can't be pick marks. It's not a pick, it's the pinky they rest there while playing. And perhaps a fingernail that may need to be trimmed a little bit. LOL

Joking aside, I do that some, but mainly if I'm doing a bottom string chugging thing that's not simple continuous up/down strokes. Something with some stops and starts, like the intro to She Wolf or something like that. (So I do it a lot when playing Megadeth tunes or some Metallica) But I usually only do it when playing stuff like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wrong if it works for you. It looks like there are lots of ways of doing it, which is why I didn't understand why some guys didn't like a middle pickup. I asked, and now I know. And, there must be lots of guys who do what you do, because I can't begin to tell you how many used guitars I've seen in stores, that had TONS of marks on the pick guard right by the bridge pickup. And I mean, right next to it. Can't be pick marks. It's not a pick, it's the pinky they rest there while playing. And perhaps a fingernail that may need to be trimmed a little bit. LOL

Joking aside, I do that some, but mainly if I'm doing a bottom string chugging thing that's not simple continuous up/down strokes. Something with some stops and starts, like the intro to She Wolf or something like that. (So I do it a lot when playing Megadeth tunes or some Metallica) But I usually only do it when playing stuff like this.

Yeah, it totally depends on what I'm playing. I don't play a lot of metal stuff yet, haven't worked my way into much so far, but I will eventually. You know me a lot of my playing revolves around the bluesy DGish stuff, and lately some ambient stuff but funk rhythm is my jam at the moment!

With the nerves in my arm and hand being jacked from my accident...the wrist work on the funky stuff has become great physical therapy, but it mainly just makes me happy. Ya know because that's what it does.

Anyway...I've gotten really used to using my pinky as kind of a feeler as I move around and it keeps me from inadvertantly hitting the volume knob. I guess I've picked up the habit (good or bad) of hanging on to the middle and or bridge pickups/rings with the little digit. I can see mine getting worn there eventually as well, But I always wash my hands, keep my nails did, and keep mine wiped down. Because I like to keep em' shiney. :cool:

So @sergiodeblanc and the others who are bothered by the middle pickup, is this the reason for you that it bothers you?

That makes perfect sense to me if that's the issue. I guess I move around so much that I assumed others did as well.

I'd guess that if you have one place you like to put your arm and hand and the middle pickup is in the way, it may even be because you've become conditioned by 2 HB guitars to pick in that area because it is an open spot, so the spot you're used too suddenly has something in the way with a middle pickup. Or, maybe that's just where your hand falls naturally when putting your arm in your favored position. Thoughts?

I'm just in love with the middle pickup of the NF3. I've said this before, but I think the single biggest upgrade you could do to any 2 HB PRS is add a middle NF pickup. But it sounds incredible and doesn't bother me, so of course I'd think that. If it bothered me, I probably wouldn't feel quite the same. But I'd put it on every one of mine if I could.
Yeah! I mean, I vary my picking position for tonality but, generally I’m strumming with my picking hand posed for palm muting.

Like, it’s easy enough to work around a middle pickup but it’s a more pleasurable experience if I don’t have to.

I have a heavy right (picking) hand, I mute strings with both hands, and most of the time that means that because of the size of my mitts… a middle pickup can get in the way. If you add in staggered pile pieces, I’m more of a mess for a few days.

Back