NGD: SusStudio

I'm not being critical, I just don't understand the statements that a middle pickup is "in the way" or interfering or most difficult of all to understand "a reason to sell a guitar." The pickup is below the strings... while I know it's there on say my NF3, it's not "in the way." And one quick listen shows it to be an invaluable pickup location. If your choices are 1) make a slight adjustment or 2) lose the incredible tones of that middle pickup, I'LL ADUST! And, I'm a self proclaimed "feel over everything else" guy. Feel and playability are always first. Tone can be adjusted other ways of needed. But this is not a thing that throws off the feel of a guitar for me.

I guess I'm just more flexible than some...
(TWSS)

I'm not being critical, I just don't understand the statements that a middle pickup is "in the way" or interfering or most difficult of all to understand "a reason to sell a guitar." The pickup is below the strings... while I know it's there on say my NF3, it's not "in the way." And one quick listen shows it to be an invaluable pickup location. If your choices are 1) make a slight adjustment or 2) lose the incredible tones of that middle pickup, I'LL ADUST! And, I'm a self proclaimed "feel over everything else" guy. Feel and playability are always first. Tone can be adjusted other ways of needed. But this is not a thing that throws off the feel of a guitar for me.

(TWSS)
Well, maybe you don’t rock as hard as you think you do?

(TWSS)
TBH, I didn't think I'd ever be that guy complaining about the middle pickup "getting in the way." I mean, I've got a Strat with the standard 3-single coils and its middle pickup has never bothered me one bit. Maybe it's something about the way my hand/arm naturally fell on that guitar (from where it sits on my lap, to the natural position that my arm rests on the guitar, etc.) that was causing it.

Is that what it is? Because I've never been bothered by middle pickups. I knew there must be some advantages to being a poser. If the middle pickup on the NF3 is my reward for being a poser, then I'll take that as a fair trade. :)

Is that what it is? Because I've never been bothered by middle pickups. I knew there must be some advantages to being a poser. If the middle pickup on the NF3 is my reward for being a poser, then I'll take that as a fair trade. :)
Maybe? You could have extra long fingers too? Or a “meaty” palm?

(TWSS)

FWIW (which is nothing :p), the middle pickup bugs me. I guess my picking hand naturally rests right on top of the middle pickup on a Strat. Maybe it’s my faulty picking method, but it is what it is, and it bugs the sh*t outta me when my pick makes contact.

FWIW (which is nothing :p), the middle pickup bugs me. I guess my picking hand naturally rests right on top of the middle pickup on a Strat. Maybe it’s my faulty picking method, but it is what it is, and it bugs the sh*t outta me when my pick makes contact.
I move my picking hand around depending on what I'm doing. One guy in another forum used to tease me because sometimes I pick up above the neck pickup (the picture of me playing my first Custom 22 I'm picking well above it). I do it for a reason, but maybe since I'm used to moving around anyway it just doesn't bother me if I need to move a little because of the middle pickup.

Oh, and the "flexible" thing was just to make a joke. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I move my picking hand around depending on what I'm doing. One guy in another forum used to tease me because sometimes I pick up above the neck pickup (the picture of me playing my first Custom 22 I'm picking well above it). I do it for a reason, but maybe since I'm used to moving around anyway it just doesn't bother me if I need to move a little because of the middle pickup.

Oh, and the "flexible" thing was just to make a joke. :)

The middle pickup can bug me, but I can also adjust for it. I notice it sometimes w/the Silver Sky. Flat pick and fingerpicking. I guess sometimes I just dig deep. Like Igor.

(TWSS)
I know I don't rock/thrash as hard as some...

Indeed, I have noted previously in another thread from earlier this year (or maybe last year?) that I have no issue with any pickup config - the HhH (narrowfield hum) of the SSH, the HSH (or whatever the SD rail is officially) of the SAS, the 305, DC3, 509, Silver Sky/strat, or whatever.

But I also vary my strumming/picking position, going from right beside the bridge all the way up to the 12th fret and beyond, because that brings out different tonalities.

:shrug:

Back