NGD -Spruce!!

Rhythmisking

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Found an '08 HB Spruce on my local craigslist and picked it up last night. Looked like a Cherry Sunburst in the CL pics, but it's Tobacco baby! It seemed a very reasonable price, although finding current comps is really difficult. This one is straight up -no piezo- with a perfect (!) top and only a few tiny edge dings here and there.

It's the lightest guitar I've ever had: 4.8 pounds?!?! Ridiculously light. So light it's almost scary; like I'm afraid I might break it putting the stiff leather strap over the buttons.

It's had very little play so there was a bit of corrosion on the frets, with ancient strings, but she's restrung, setup, and all shiny and sparkly now.

20210408-225710-resized.jpg

20210408-225710-resized.jpg

I have an SE HB Standard, and I guess I was expecting the construction to be similar, but since this one is all solid wood, the "soundpost" as it's called isn't really a post. The body is a solid chunk of mahogany routed out to form the sides and back with the area under the bridge left full depth. Likewise for the carving of the top. A full thickness piece is left at the bridge point, which then mates perfectly with the mahogany. I thought this was really cool. I'm sure most of you know this already, but I didn't. So for the unfamiliar, here's a pick through the pickup route:

20210408-184843-resized.jpg

20210408-184843-resized.jpg

This is maybe the most unusual electric I've ever owned. It's physically somewhat akin to an Eastman El Rey that I used to have, but that guitar had horrible neck dive and somehow this Spruce doesn't. It also has a much more comfortable neck shape for me. I hope it likes it's new home, where it's going to get played a lot more than it's accustomed to. I thought it might sound similar to the SE HB Standard, but it's nothing like it. The SE is much darker, and surprisingly quite a bit heavier.

Nice grab there! The HB Spruce is a really nice guitar, and something I discovered only last year! You will come to love it, and because of that solid carved top and block, you can really rock without the howling feedback of laminate tops. That light weight is a real plus too. You did good!

Looks like that axe is in good company! Treasure her, fondle her, tell her how much you love her every day! Buy her a nice strap on and take her out to play often! She will show you her love in the sweet sounds of her siren call! Congrats!!

San Francisco. This one had been there for a week as I wrestled with my internal financial demons. I won.

Sounds to me like your demons won! ;)

There's nothing like a spruce top ... sooo resonant and expressive. I own the PRS Archtop version of yours, and it just sings.

Brilliant design.
Gorgeous guitar.
Congratulations.

Now tell us about that Santana.....

The Santana was another CL deal. My first PRS. I had never owned or even played any PRS before. They always seemed untouchable to me for no real reason; somehow no one I ever played with played one. But as a compulsive online guitar cruiser, I knew they were very nice...and usually very expensive. That Santana popped up on CL a little over a year ago for $1700 which seemed like almost too good of a deal -like maybe it was fake or stolen or something. Turns out it was a rich kid going back to school who was selling a bunch of his stuff for cash.

I've got a few more since then...

Back