NGD (sorta) & Changing 58/15LT out for 58/15MT

The resistor values used for LT’s are probably not optimal for the MT’s. That is in case the MT’s need/use resistors at all, they could have done a physical tap from the coil. I’m not sure how they designed the MT’s and I haven’t looked inside mine. I don’t see any resistors in the picture supplied by Goodsal.
And by the way, does the LT’s use resistors? Aren’t they supposed to split to ”true single coil”?
I'm starting to realize this is likely much more complicated than I initially anticipated.

I'm starting to realize this is likely much more complicated than I initially anticipated.
It might be but it probably isn’t. I’ll check mine tomorrow to see if I find any resistors but better yet would be to get the correct wiring diagram from PRS.

Installing resistors is easy. I added those to my 1995 McCarty.

My concern is that the wiring of the toggles is completely different and it’s not a direct swap of each wire when going from MTs to LTs or vice versa

@MWebster Here's a photo of the cavity of my SSH with MTs. Would you mind doing the same with yours with the LTs? I can try to take better pictures if this is helpful.

Bves9QG.jpg
Are the slug coils of the neck pickup closest to the neck in your SSH? Some are facing the bridge with the screw coil towards the neck. Just curious. I'm hoping they tap the coil closest to the neck.

The older models with the MTs have the screw coils on the neck closest to the bridge (backwards from the typical 2 bucker guitar), the new models with the LTs have the screw coils closest to the neck.

The older models with the MTs have the screw coils on the neck closest to the bridge (backwards from the typical 2 bucker guitar), the new models with the LTs have the screw coils closest to the neck.
Interesting. Thank you

When my LT equipped SSH is in I'll put up a few pics of the switch cavity for you.

Actually, I’m seeing a lot of new ones with the LTs and the neck pickup with the screw coil close to the bridge. Not sure why PRS keeps changing the orientation of the neck pickup.

Here's a shot from the control cavity of my SSH (limited with MT pickups). No resistors.
Interesting. That matches up with the wiring diagram I found for that guitar. So that's how I'm going to wire up my MT's when they get here and likely remove the resistors for the LT's. I think the info for what's going on with the newer core guitars is harder to come by for now.

I just watched one of those archive videos PRSH does and he said the company is gearing itself towards pickups with lower windings because they don't feel they need to have the higher output to achieve the same results anymore. Likely referring to the TCI process. I still thought that was a weird thing to say. 8.2k neck and 9.5k bridge rough values are like peas and carrots. 7.8k for both as is the LT set just seems much less desirable.

Interesting. That matches up with the wiring diagram I found for that guitar. So that's how I'm going to wire up my MT's when they get here and likely remove the resistors for the LT's. I think the info for what's going on with the newer core guitars is harder to come by for now.

I just watched one of those archive videos PRSH does and he said the company is gearing itself towards pickups with lower windings because they don't feel they need to have the higher output to achieve the same results anymore. Likely referring to the TCI process. I still thought that was a weird thing to say. 8.2k neck and 9.5k bridge rough values are like peas and carrots. 7.8k for both as is the LT set just seems much less desirable.
To each their own I guess. I haven't played the LT's so I don't know but I'm sure they are alright. There's more to a pickup than the impedance. But I am certain of that the MT's are a very special set of pickups.

How do you like the LT's? And you will be able to compare, I'm looking forward to hear what you think.

I emailed PRS re swapping MTs out for LTs and changing the wiring in my 2020 model to match the current specs. Here's their response:

"You wouldn't be able to use the same style mini toggle switches that are currently being used as they are a bit bigger and would not fit in the cavity. You could wire it up like the Custom 24-08 which would be the closest using the same style functionality. You can find this on our website, https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/10785441347483/SE_CU408.pdf. "

Stumbled upon this and thought I'd leave it here. The LT's sound pretty great too.
That guy is a fenomenal player. I sometimes watch his demos just to listen to him play. And I don't think I've ever heard him play the same thing twice.

Man I looked high and low for a maple necked SSH because I knew that would make for such a unique, well rounded instrument. But to no avail. Im happy either way but I feel that a nice quarter sawn one piece maple neck with either rosewood or an ebony board would add a high end focus. That's so awesome you've got one, is it private stock?
My 2021 Special has the LTs with an ebony fretboard. It's a very good combination; usually I prefer a rosewood fretboard.

I think ebony with maple would be a bit too snappy for my taste; as it is, ebony with the semi-hollow body leans toward that, and I've altered it using pure nickel strings instead of nickel plated steel.

I think your idea of keeping the guitar stock for a while before monkeying around with the pickups is a good idea. The guitar will sound different enough from your 594 just by virtue of its resonance caused by the body design. You might like the stock pickups.

I also found it's a good idea to set my amps up a little differently for the Special when I play it than with my previous LT guitar.

Stumbled upon this and thought I'd leave it here. The LT's sound pretty great too.
That guy is a fenomenal player. I sometimes watch his demos just to listen to him play. And I don't think I've ever heard him play the same thing twice.

Terrific video. The guy is a really tasty player. He sounds really good on that thing.

I haven't had a chance to look in the cavity. However, yeah the 58/15LT set sounds pretty great to my ears. The bridge is weak though. No doubt about that. I'll snap a pic of the cavity tonight though. Probably still mounting the MT's I think.

I emailed PRS re swapping MTs out for LTs and changing the wiring in my 2020 model to match the current specs. Here's their response:

"You wouldn't be able to use the same style mini toggle switches that are currently being used as they are a bit bigger and would not fit in the cavity. You could wire it up like the Custom 24-08 which would be the closest using the same style functionality. You can find this on our website, https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/10785441347483/SE_CU408.pdf. "
Not sure why exactly there would be a difference. Looking at the pic that was posted, on that guitar they are swapping both the hot and ground connection. Which isn't how coil-splits are typically done. But as long as the switches operate like I would expect a mini toggle to operate, that's what is going on. And it makes sense also for a "tapped" set up. It would allow them decide exactly how much, and what part of the windings, of each coil is used.

Normally on a coil split, you're taking the connection between the two coils (where the hot wire of one coil is connected to the negative side of the other coil), and either grounding it (most common way) or you can also connect that directly to the normal hot output. You'll get a different coil (slug or screw) depending on how you do it. You're essentially shorting one coil and taking it out of the equation. And to do that, you can use a simpler/smaller switch, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that kind of switch used on a PRS. From what I've seen they use the same kind of switch in that picture.

Anyway I still think it can be done. But will probably be proven wrong with more pics.

Back