NGD - Something Thick

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
Well, I can finally cross an Archtop off my list. I've been looking for one of these for the last year-and-a-half, or two years. They're always priced higher than I am willing to pay. I missed a great chance on one last year from Dave's. Sergio sent me a link one night for one they had priced ridiculously low at $2,495. I decided to sleep on it, because I wasn't REALLY sure I would dig the Archtop model. Not really designed for the music I like to play. Anyway, I was up early, for work, the next morning. I decided to pull the trigger at 5:45 AM, but it was gone. I was ticked for missing out.

I've been checking every week, or every other week, since then. They're always priced north of $4,500. There was a reasonably priced one a few months ago, but it had a couple of huge chips. I passed. There was one for a good price recently, but it was half way around the world. I wasn't willing to risk it. Then, low and behold, during my weekly check last week, I stumble upon one at Guitar Center. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Guitar Center was practicing their "We don't know how to price used gear" methodology. I offered $500 less than posted, they accepted. I am now the proud owner of this 2000 Archtop for less than $3k. Surprisingly, GC had 4 pretty quality pics of this one, so I was able to look it over pretty well. There is one little pin sized spot on the top, in between the pick ups, and that is it. Well, that WAS it. This dufus put a nice chip in it carrying it out to the deck to take pics this morning. I am beyond pi$$ed at myself!

Overall, cool guitar. It'll take a little getting used to, but I couldn't be happier to finally snag one. I have a pair of Amber lampshades ordered for it. I wasn't a big fan of the Archtop pickups in my Hollowbody. Anyone swap theirs out? Thoughts on a suitable replacement if I decide to go down that road.

Funny side bar: I texted Sergio Friday to let him know I grabbed it. One of the texts he sent back was, "Does it have birds?" Hell, I didn't know! The listing was down already, and I was too excited at the price and condition to even look! Indeed, it does have birds.

Pi9BRHp.jpg

Av2MGMD.jpg

qsQP1kW.jpg

ND74vjs.jpg

CENZnj6.jpg

lBsvQoR.jpg

9Kb0YQC.jpg

f75KOrq.jpg

Here's the one little nick it had on it.

6OW04yW.jpg

And here's the big chunk this dipstick just took out of it.

4BYPCpT.jpg

That’s a sweet looking guitar! And now it’s slightly lighter than new! :confused: Seriously, sorry about the mishap, I cringe whenever I knock mine into something.

congrats buddy. Classy instrument. :cool: And Sergio's right: a little bit to much bangin' for you :p

Is that chip your equivalent to carving your name on the back?
Now people will see it and not tempt you with offering you a couple hundred more than you paid for it.

Oh that’s sweet! We need to hear it! Pretty please! Plugged and unplugged.

The advice I got when I chipped my first MiM Strat was to add strap locks and a little red nail polish... I did the first but not the later - I wanted the reminder...

Great colouring - nicer than the one I’ll ditch one of these days.

Give the Archtops a bit of time. I think they suit this guitar quite well. I mostly play mine finger style, which might impact the optimum pickup choice.

Excellent addition to a good collection.

Sorry about the banging.

Back