NGD - So psyched about new Silver Sky

FlatNine

I can’t believe I never really sat down with a Silver Sky and gave it an honest chance. Well, I did that yesterday. I’ve had about 10 Custom Shop Strats in the last 4 years. But this Silver Sky has something special going on. It’s got the clarity and punch of a great Tele. It’s got the tone of a great Strat but without the shrillness or manufacturing flaws. So, I went back to the shop today to really go through it and test it. I even brought my strap so I could check it out standing which I do for rehearsals and gigs. It’s so great it just disappeared in my hands at the guitar shop today and I just played. I was inspired. I played though a Tone King Comet 40a, and also a Carr Slylark. Super clean. Those pickups are just pristine, glassy, harmonically rich and satisfying, and crystal clear up to the 22nd fret. Any guitar can “get by” when using a driven amp or OD pedals. Not all can stand up to the microscope of super clean. There’s no hiding flaws, in the instrument or in the player. I love this guitar! And when I got it home to plug into my own gear, it amazed me even more. It sounded tremendous though my vintage Fender 67 Twin Reverb, Maz 18, and Louis Electric Columbia. But when I played it through my Amplified Nation 100 Watt Wonderland Overdrive, (one of the best Dumble ODS clones around) I knew I’d be thinning out my guitars. Playability? Check. Looks? Check. Cool factor? Check. Sound? Holy crap! Double check. I’m sure this will cut through the mix at rehearsal tomorrow evening. Paul - if you’re listening - thank you! I owe you a beer! Well done!

Last edited:
Congrats and great to hear such excitement. Which colour did you get? 2020 model? I’m still managing to hold out...just... for a perfect tungsten one with an incredible rosewood fretboard!

I can’t believe I never really sat down with a Silver Sky and gave it an honest chance. Well, I did that yesterday. I’ve had about 10 Custom Shop Strats in the last 4 years. But this Silver Sky has something special going on. It’s got the clarity and punch of a great Tele. It’s got the tone of a great Strat but without the shrillness or manufacturing flaws. So, I went back to the shop today to really go through it and test it. I even brought my strap so I could check it out standing which I do for rehearsals and gigs. It’s so great it just disappeared in my hands at the guitar shop today and I just played. I was inspired. I played though a Tone King Comet 40a, and also a Carr Slylark. Super clean. Those pickups are just pristine, glassy, harmonically rich and satisfying, and crystal clear up to the 22nd fret. Any guitar can “get by” when using a driven amp or OD pedals. Not all can stand up to the microscope of super clean. There’s no hiding flaws, in the instrument or in the player. I love this guitar! And when I got it home to plug into my own gear, it amazed me even more. It sounded tremendous though my vintage Fender 67 Twin Reverb, Maz 18, and Louis Electric Columbia. But when I played it through my Amplified Nation 100 Watt Wonderland Overdrive, (one of the best Dumble ODS clones around) I knew I’d be thinning out my guitars. Playability? Check. Looks? Check. Cool factor? Check. Sound? Holy crap! Double check. I’m sure this will cut through the mix at rehearsal tomorrow evening. Paul - if you’re listening - thank you! I owe you a beer! Well done!

Congrats and thanks for your assessment!

Yeah, the Silver Sky is really good! I had a Custom Shop Strat that I thought was everything I wanted. The neck one day I sat down at a GC and played a Silver Sky and just absolutely loved it. Took it home with me and just kept wanting to play it over my CS. Just recently sold the Custom Shop and admittedly had a bit of regret at first...but just kept telling myself the neck was too skinny on that one. Still, was thinking I might want another CS Strat just with a thicker neck. Went to a shop this weekend to play one in particular but tried a few...walked away not wanting any of them and just being more impressed with how much I like the Silver Sky!

Ok - the only facility I see for posting an image is by URL. I have the pics on my PC here but can't seem to find how to upload them.
You have to upload them to a third party hosting site like Imgur. Then you can link them into your post.

And, congrats on your Silver Sky. Great to read how you really feel about it!

Ah - figured out how to post a pic. Anyway - it's Orion Green. @RallyFanatic @jm9239 @Wolfhound

EvfiQp4.jpg

@FlatNine , I applaud your open-mindedness as well as your judgement. That guitar *looks* like it has a personality of its own.

Welcome to the many joys of PRS ownership! (including the dad humor and TWSS retorts in this forum)

@FlatNine , I applaud your open-mindedness as well as your judgement. That guitar *looks* like it has a personality of its own.

Welcome to the many joys of PRS ownership! (including the dad humor and TWSS retorts in this forum)

This is actually PRS # 13. I liked all of them a lot, but this Silver Sky is perfect for me. I love it! And nothing cuts through the mix like single coils, especially in a blues band. Strangely enough, it is also the least expensive of the PRS’s I’ve had. (Custom 22, 2 DGT (still have one), 2 DGT Private Stocks, 2 Paul’s Guitars, 4 594 DC’s, and 1 594 SC)

Back