NGD - So psyched about new Silver Sky

This is actually PRS # 13. I liked all of them a lot, but this Silver Sky is perfect for me. I love it! And nothing cuts through the mix like single coils, especially in a blues band. Strangely enough, it is also the least expensive of the PRS’s I’ve had. (Custom 22, 2 DGT (still have one), 2 DGT Private Stocks, 2 Paul’s Guitars, 4 594 DC’s, and 1 594 SC)
13??! You win. I saw your low post count and made a crazy assumption. :D

13??! You win. I saw your low post count and made a crazy assumption. :D

No worries. Thanks for the welcome just the same. Actually, I forgot one - a McCarty double cut with a 25” scale, not a 594.

Ah - figured out how to post a pic. Anyway - it's Orion Green. @RallyFanatic @jm9239 @Wolfhound

EvfiQp4.jpg
Nice color!
Congrats.

Congrats. The Orion green is sweet. Did you also play the two Tungsten SS’s? If so did they sound/play the same as the Orion? Just in case I make an impulsive purchase.

Congrats, glad you are so excited! And it would be bad, very very bad, to live 10 minutes from Brian's! I live like 7 kajillion miles from them and bought 3 guitars from them last year!

For sure! That’s why I’ve had soooo many guitars in the last 5 years alone. My band mates got numb to me bringing a different guitar so frequently.

Congrats. The Orion green is sweet. Did you also play the two Tungsten SS’s? If so did they sound/play the same as the Orion? Just in case I make an impulsive purchase.

Since I specifically wanted one with a rosewood board, I only played those. And yes, they all played the same. And sounded alike.

Since I specifically wanted one with a rosewood board, I only played those. And yes, they all played the same. And sounded alike.

Thanks. Silly as it seems my biggest hang up is I have a Pewter Clapton Strat. I want a different color. But, your review and hands on experience may cause me to overlook my silliness.

Update: Ok, here’s my promised update following a band rehearsal. Note that for rehearsals, I’ve been using my Helix and run it right into the board. We have 5 or six wedge monitors we use and we each have our own mix. All settings on my Helix and the board were the same as last week. The Silver Sky (SS) has more of a midrange punch than my 55 CS Strat. The 55 is brighter and cut through tremendously, whereas tonight the SS didn’t cut through as much. It wasn’t bad mind you, but I do need to fix things. I’ve been using a Dumble ODS preset on the Helix. I’m going to switch to something with more high end chime, like a Vox AC30 or a Matchless DC30 for Friday. Other than that, there was a fullness and thicker sound overall, but NOT anything like humbuckers. It still maintained note articulation and clarity. It also maintained enough “Stratyness” but never too edgy or shrill. And on the SS, position 3 for the middle pickup by itself was a nice surprise - it had an openness that was very cool. And position 5, the neck pickup, had a classic SRV sound to it that was great! I’m sure I can make the adjustments to cut through a little better. Overall, I am still extremely happy with the SS. It has a studio quality tone to it that is rich in just the right amount of harmonic overtones, sustains amazingly well, and is a complete joy to play. And this next item is actually important to me - all the Silver Sky’s are consistent, meaning I can replace it fairly easily, unlike Strats. When you’re lucky enough to find a great Strat, good luck trying to replace it. If you were to go to a place that had 10 similarly spec’d CS Strats, 6 may be decent, 1 would make you wonder how it ever got out of the factory, and 1 may be excellent. On the other hand, I could grab another Silver Sky from a dealer and know exactly what to expect. That says a lot about the QC at PRS! Anyway, I’ll do one more update after Friday’s rehearsal.

@FlatNine very cool. Consider duplicating your Helix presets and making one set for the Fender and one for the PRS. I sometimes do that with hums versus singles, adjusting the EQ, etc., as necessary. Just like amp settings vary from guitar to guitar, patches are the same. Glad you're enjoying the SS. Just a matter of fine tuning now.

Congrats man!!! So many people are missing out by not trying a SS, just because...well I don't know...but they should. They really are something special. I for one was blown away the first time I sat down with mine. Every detail is improved upon. They are truly inspiring guitars. Glad you found them to be as amazing as so many of us here have. Enjoy and play it in good health!!

Congrats FlatNine on the awesome PRS !
I just traded a Mira 25th Aniv for an orion green SS myself a couple of weeks ago. I just looooove mine, it sits so comfortable and the weight is just right. I've never been a strat player but this guitar changed that. I'm still trying to figure out which pickup position I like best but I'm mostly using position 4 and 5.

xC2YHgDh.jpg

@FlatNine very cool. Consider duplicating your Helix presets and making one set for the Fender and one for the PRS. I sometimes do that with hums versus singles, adjusting the EQ, etc., as necessary. Just like amp settings vary from guitar to guitar, patches are the same. Glad you're enjoying the SS. Just a matter of fine tuning now.

Yeah - I was thinking about that myself. I have a great set of presets from Michael Britt, but I’ll have to create additional sets for my different guitars, each with a customized EQ.

Ok - final update to this thread. I had adjusted the EQ on my Helix preset and the guitar just sang at rehearsal last night. The rich tone of the SS, the slight mid hump, and it sounded great. And there is the fun factor I mentioned before. It is just so inexplicably fun to play, that it just brings you out and you play better, which brings you out more, ad infinitum. Yeah - this one is a keeper. I ignored it when it originally was released, I didn’t care about it. But once I decided to give it an honest try, to play and listen and let it be what IT is, not what I thought it should be, I was extremely happy.

Now - I think I can tell you what’s missing from the guitar : that feeling that you’re playing a guitar, and that’s a great thing! It just vanishes and becomes an extension of you and let’s you be you. Jeez, I know I sound like a kid here, or a fanboy, but I’m not. I’m 60 years old, have played hundreds of gigs since 1975, and have had countless guitars. This one is really unique and has changed the way I’ll be buying guitars now. The only question I’ll be asking myself is how much does this guitar vanish into me and allow me to express myself?

Yeah - I was thinking about that myself. I have a great set of presets from Michael Britt, but I’ll have to create additional sets for my different guitars, each with a customized EQ.

do you think the Michael Britt presets are worth it? (Not that they’re expensive...). Was thinking about giving it a shot, it looks like a solid base to work from.

Glad you’re loving the Silver Sky! I know what you mean about it just disappearing when you start playing, it’s excellent!

do you think the Michael Britt presets are worth it? (Not that they’re expensive...). Was thinking about giving it a shot, it looks like a solid base to work from.

Glad you’re loving the Silver Sky! I know what you mean about it just disappearing when you start playing, it’s excellent!

Definitely! I have both the Helix Floor and the HX Stomp and use the Michael Britt presets for both. (It’s a shame that they’re non compatible across the two, considering they both use HX Edit) I think his presets are really good! One thing I’ve noticed is that presets that I think sound great at very volume at home don’t sound good at band volume through the PA. At home they can sound fizzy and compressed but when you turn it up, they sound like the real thing!

Back