NGD - Sitting in a brown box

BMiller

When I got home from work today, there was a large brown box on my front porch. It was odd since I have not ordered anything lately that would require such a box. Raising it up to carry it inside, I noticed that it was from Dave's Guitar Shop!!!

Knowing that I didn't order anything from Dave's, much less a new guitar, I realized that my incredible wife must have found and bought me the SE Angelus Custom that I've been wanting! The drawback is that it's a birthday gift and I will probably have to stare at that box, in my livingroom, for another 36 hours (I cross the line into the downhill side of life sometime Friday morning before I wake up). But I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas morning on Friday!!!!

Glad I took Friday off!!!

The waiting is always the hard part!! 4 years ago she bought me the SE Tremonti Custom......as I said, my wife is incredible!!

24 hours later and the brown box is now talking to me....

"Open Me!!" it screams.

But no....I must be good and not open it.....

Pics tomorrow!!!

And thanks for the birthday wishes guys!

So today is the day!! I finally get to break open that brown box that has been taunting me!!!!

Evil box!!!!

05AE2F76-9EE1-416E-A354-3E0214023F0D_zpsbutqn0op.jpg

So out of the well packaged box (Thanks Dave's!!!), I pull forth a VERY nice hard case.

IMG_0309_zpstdnl0hc3.jpg

The excitement builds!! Undoing the latches, I was in for a nasty surprise.....

IMG_0310_zpssiftl5k7.jpg

No guitar!! There was a very nice care package from Dave's as well as the truss rod wrench, an extra bone saddle (Nice!!) and case keys, but no friggin' guitar!!! I've been waiting for this morning and they screwed up and forgot to put the guitar in the case! Needless to say, I was not happy with the situation. Very calmly, my wife told me to go to my office and drink some coffee while she would call and find out what happened. OK....not much I can do about it. So I trudged upstairs to my office, coffee in hand, resigned to the fact that my new guitar day would have to wait until next week sometime.

So I walked into my office, sat down, and started reading a news article about how Kurt Russel destroyed a very old Martin acoustic (1880's I think) during the filming of "The Hateful 8". And then something odd caught the corner of my eye. Hanging in the spot of my old acoustic was my New Guitar Day!!!

IMG_0315_zpsamgadkbi.jpg

Needless to say, I was floored!! My wife still won't tell me how she pulled this off.....but I'm still feeling like a kid on Christmas morning!!!!

I have to say that this is one of the best playing acoustics I have ever laid hands on. Action is low and the neck fits my hands perfectly. I tried switching between my other PRSi and the acoustic and adjusting to the neck was incredibly easy. Tone is subjective, but when comparing to my old acoustic (a Jasmine A/E....not a fair comparison), the Angelus was full yet articulate. I'm really digging how the woods compliment each other. This guitar will certainly not get lost in the mix with my band.

And with this new addition (along with the upcoming sale of my old acoustic), I no longer own a non-PRS guitar.

As I've said before, my wife is incredible!!!

Now time to go play some more :)

Great wife, great story! She actually had me for a second too, I was thinking....Dave's forgot the guitar???!!!!??? No...that couldn't have happened...could it? Happy birthday!

Great wife, great story! She actually had me for a second too, I was thinking....Dave's forgot the guitar???!!!!??? No...that couldn't have happened...could it? Happy birthday!

She a got a good laugh out of it all. It was a great prank....one that will be talked about for years I'm sure.

It's like a Cheech and Chong skit "Dave forgot the guitar man. What? Dave's not here man."

Happy belated Birthday and what a wife!

So...have you started planning her payback??o_O

Thanks and yes I have. I haven't put the details together yet but I have no choice but to top this. Ideas are always welcome.....

Of course, her actions the other day might be a payback for something I did to our youngest son the week before Christmas. We had a lot of Amazon packages showing up and one day only a single box arrived. He was excited, thinking that it was a Christmas gift for someone, and asked if he could open it. Knowing what was in it, I said "Sure! Have fun and put it away when you're done with it!!" So the 7 year old, filled with Christmas excitement, attacked the box.....the 15 pound box. He wasn't to happy with what was inside though. Considering he's not a cat, the dry food inside was not to his liking. I did get a good laugh out of the expression on his face when he saw what it was though......and then he drug it to the other side of the house and put it in the cabinet. I still laugh when I look at those pictures.......

It was a great birthday despite coming down with the cold that is going around....

Back