NGD - Singlecut Goldtop with dots

This is a John Mann modified vintage locking tuner:

89802754-2111-4-F04-9-C7-C-7-B5-C26-E47-F64.jpg

This is how the guitar looked when I got it, with gigantic Gibson pickup rings:

42-EBE8-B5-1233-4741-A626-5411015-CBE17.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a shot from the rear. The goldtop is on the right. The other one is the Bruise Burst. It has a ribbon mahogany body that looks three dimensional.

I like belly carves. Does it make a big difference for you on those two?

Love a gold top! Huge plus 1 on the gold leaf idea. I had a CE body refinished using some, and Sergio redid one of his with it.

Thanks! I would love to see some pictures, please.

I need to find a way to do it without seams. I’ll have to look at some fire trucks. I think they scallop it like the dash of my Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am. I need to do some research,

So, instead of the bumblebee caps that I usually use, my tech Ian offered me a pair of Sprague Black Beauty caps from the 1970‘s. So, I said that I’d like to try those.

He ordered me a set of black PRS trim rings and switch tip so there will be a slight delay but he can work on polishing the frets. They are not rusty but they look oxidized and there isn’t any wear in that either, so I’m thinking that the guitar is in such perfect condition because it was hardly ever played.

While I will always love fancy guitars with birds and killer tops, I thought it would be cool to go in the opposite direction. This is exactly what I was looking for: a goldtop with dots, no neck binding, and vintage tuners.

I bought it at an amazing price. It’s a 2002 and in mint condition; except for the frets, while not worn, could use a good polish. I love the gold inlaid PRS signature on the headstock. I miss that.

1-BB9-B952-DE0-D-4-C32-A04-C-7-A05-BE958-AF5.jpg

It came with aged Wizz Premium Clone PAFs, which are highly regarded and usually sound amazing. However, they come premounted in tall Gibson pickup rings. So, instead of putting the PRS rings on there, someone raised the bridge really high to go above the taller Gibson pickup rings.

Ridiculous. It wasn’t evident in the pictures.

Anyway, the guitar is so sweet that I didn’t complain. Oh, also the wiring isn’t right and it sounds like ass. Again, I’m so happy with the price and condition that electronics are not an issue to me.

04582-D07-151-D-4-E83-A7-AC-98-F752-A84-F2-C.jpg

So, I dropped it off at my tech. I asked him to polish the frets and to install all new pots, bumblebee caps, and a new input jack. I put the PRS pickup rings on there and I lowered the bridge but I’ll have him give it a full set up. I want to try the Wizz pickups with proper wiring and set up before I yank them out. It has a cap in there now that is for single coils. :confused: So, I am expecting that the Wizz will sound so much better.

13-A4212-E-7-E30-42-C5-96-FF-97-BA9-AB84740.jpg

I had a set of John Mann modified vintage tuners :cool: on hand so those were the first things to go on. What can I say? I like quick and easy string changes, especially when playing out.

9-E3-CBB39-067-E-4983-9887-B7819-AFB95-DF.jpg

I will give you a full report when I get it back from the tech. I ordered black pickup rings and three way tip because I think it would look good. I hope they arrive in time for me to run them over to the shop before he does the work. If not, I can put them on later. I’m also changing the speed knobs to the amber lampshade knobs.
Excellent choice! I always liked the classiness of a gold top. Sounds like you did the right thing with modified mann vintage style tuners and electronics! Well done and congrats!

Back