NGD - Silver Sky Nebula - My First PRS!

talljim

My Silver Sky arrived today! I was very excited for it to arrive. (Pics below)
This is my first PRS.

If you had told me when I preordered it back in January about all the stuff that would be going on in 2020 I would never have believed you. The fact I felt nervous about having it sent to my home instead of my job seems ridiculous now, especially since it's all work from home and we do not even have access to our offices at the moment.

The guitar is really amazing. I did take two trips to a local guitar shop to play an Onyx Silver Sky in January and February to calm my impatience during what I knew would be a long wait. Each time it reaffirmed my decision to preorder.
With everything happening in the world starting in March, I knew that the guitars were not the priority and that PRS did what they needed to do for the safety and health of their employees. I was really impressed with everything I had heard about the company and what they did for their employees. My guitar can show up whenever it is safe.

My other electric is a production model Clapton Strat. It does what it does well, but I have never really liked the boost circuit and tone control as much as I thought I would. The SS just sounds incredible through my little mini setup in my office. The pickups are so clear and I am loving the tone. Notes just ring with classic single coil tone, while I can't save the same for the Clapton.

I have zero complaints about the guitar, the company, the music shop (Music Zoo) or anything in this whole process. I am one happy customer.

I know there were complaints about people flipping them for profit. I can see why someone would do that, especially with how the world is at the moment. I did have that internal debate about selling it and getting a midnight rose one. Then I'd have this tone, and some extra cash.
My decision to keep it is because of the regret I have at selling a Charcoal Frost Metallic John Mayer Stratocaster in 2008 when I needed money and was out of work. They only made 100 of those and I regret needing to sell it. It was just a joy to pull out of the gig bag and sit down with. That guitar never reached the prices of the Nebulas. This seemed like a chance to get a great guitar and have something that I love pulling out of it's gig bag. (How great would it be if the gig bag was the Incase gig bag that came with the early JM Strats? Those were great.)

I am not sure about the other Nebula owners who waited a while for theirs to arrive, but there was a tiny bit of fussiness on my part about seeing them up on Reverb being flipped. I know that the factory and music shops have no way of knowing the intentions of the people pre-ordering so this is out of anyone's control. Just had me looking forward to today even more.

Oh, and this forum has been a great place to check in and see everyone's excitement for guitars.
That's all. Thanks for reading this!
wuGFEmf.jpg

DSlewZr.jpg

MGa1Bmr.jpg

g1ufJBk.jpg

wuGFEmf

DSlewZr

MGa1Bmr

g1ufJBk

Good post! Congratulations on the new guitar. Love the color. Coincidentally, I bought a bicycle last summer (Specialized Roubaix Expert) that has the same blue/purple finish. The call it chameleon purple.

Congrats! The Silver Sky is an amazing guitar; it really says something when people who were put off by the design ultimately had to give in to its greatness just on the basis of its quality and incredible tone.

And I predict the Nebula finish its going to be super coveted, you did the right thing hanging on to it!

Back