NGD - SE T50E

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I picked this up to provide me better (louder) sound projection for completely unplugged gigs, since my SE Angelus Custom (with rosewood body) simply wasn't cutting through the "live mix". I've been using a Taylor for the last year or so, but as mentioned in a different thread, the string spacing is different (wider), despite having the same actual neck width, and the PRSi are just a whole lot more comfortable for me.

Thanks to Dave's Guitars in La Crosse for making this happen so easy!

Js3PatD.jpg

02NJSQP.jpg

HyWuCKd.jpg

QH3mDR6.jpg

NHNRgU7.jpg

Scarf joint is obvious, but I don't care (and I know it is just as good as a "solid neck"):
5hPK1xa.jpg

The hard case that came with the guitar looks different from the SE hard case I got with my SE Angelus Custom, presumably because the other guitar was made in S Korea and this is made in China, so case sourcing was changed too. (Case says "Made in China".)

W0lmaYN.jpg

It plays quite loudly and brightly, as one might expect from a maple body (yet nice and clear and with a good tone) - it seems like it will suffice for its intended purpose. I'm at the office, so I have to wait until I get home for a true comparison with the other PRS and other acoustic guitars I have.

Cracking acoustic! Looks like a $1,000,000. Heck sorry not allowed to talk about prices!;)

Man, that sure is purty! I may have to think about an acoustic guitar! Congrats!

Thanks everyone! It is a real purdy guitar, but that's not why I got it - a fortunate happenstance, I suppose!

Just gave the new one a play through at home, comparing to the SE Angelus Custom ("solid" Rosewood body, non-laminate supposedly) and the Taylor (a 214ce Dlx QM - maple laminate body, like the T50E). Also got out my dB meter.

The T50E is about 2 dB louder, no more, which might not be enough to really hear. But the guitar does sound more prominent to me. I need to get my wife to listen, perhaps while I noodle over a recorded loop, but she is distracted by non-music family stuff right now (that I'm obviously attempting to avoid getting sucked into).

So maybe I'll play some loops and compare by playing to a wall corner (to get the sound reflection to hear what the guitar sounds like from the front).

And after playing some leads over an acoustic loop played through my Sweet 16, the new T50E does what I had hoped for - it stands out better above a strummed acoustic guitar. I cranked the amp as the loop played until I could barely still hear (with a bit of clarity) the leads I was playing on the T50E (I was very repetitive). I then swapped out to the other two, using the exact same posture and body/foot positioning and playing position on the strings, same pick. The SE Angelus Custom got lost in the rhythm, and the Taylor was about half-way - a bit louder or more clarity than the Ang Custom, but not nearly as obvious as the T50E. So yay, it should work for me!

Guess I'll find out this weekend, when it has first contact with a live fully acoustic/unplugged gig or three.

Awesome! I recently bought the Angelus version and agree with everything you said. It's A LOT of great guitar for the money.

I used the new T50E on the weekend at a Folk Festival, where everything was played acoustic/unplugged. (Except the Contradance stage, where we ran sound for those bands.) (Yes, we stay very busy with gigs almost every weekend and running professional sound every other weekend.)

The guitar did exactly what I needed - the lead breaks could be heard over the strumming of the rhythm guitarist, punching into the high mid-range and not getting lost.

Which also meant that when both guitars were going rhythm, they had some tonal separation, with the T50E being a little brighter, so that variations in my strumming could be heard a bit more distinctly.

I also got some compliments on my lead/accompaniment playing, which meant two things: I didn't mess up any of my leads, and they could actually hear me enough to like it!

I am very happy with this latest acquisition!

I am going to ask the proverbial stupid question...are the bodies all solid or laminate?
Not stupid, since I believe it has changed over time with the SE line.

The current SE line up is laminate, AFAIK.

The SE Angelus Custom I have (~2013 model) supposedly has a "solid" Rosewood body. Back and sides, IIRC, but they have to bend that side wood somehow - not sure how they do that on the sides. So maybe sides are laminate but back is solid?

I think another important question beyond "solid vs laminate", is: if laminate, what materials used in the sandwich? i.e. is the "advertised wood" just a thin veneer over something else? Because to me that would impact the sound and aging factor very significantly. e.g., Taylor's own website states "Taylor's layered backs and sides incorporate three layers of wood, featuring a middle core of poplar with a veneer on each side." (I have a Taylor with laminate body, so I obviously am OK with the process.)

PRS doesn't discuss very much how their overseas partners build their SE line. It would be interesting to know more...

Not stupid, since I believe it has changed over time with the SE line.

The current SE line up is laminate, AFAIK.

The SE Angelus Custom I have (~2013 model) supposedly has a "solid" Rosewood body. Back and sides, IIRC, but they have to bend that side wood somehow - not sure how they do that on the sides. So maybe sides are laminate but back is solid?

I think another important question beyond "solid vs laminate", is: if laminate, what materials used in the sandwich? i.e. is the "advertised wood" just a thin veneer over something else? Because to me that would impact the sound and aging factor very significantly. e.g., Taylor's own website states "Taylor's layered backs and sides incorporate three layers of wood, featuring a middle core of poplar with a veneer on each side." (I have a Taylor with laminate body, so I obviously am OK with the process.)

PRS doesn't discuss very much how their overseas partners build their SE line. It would be interesting to know more...
Great process to watch “side bending”. I have a luthier friend and he has mould for this process. He places the timber in metal bath, containing boiling water, cooks it to soften the timber and then places it on the mould. Depending on the timber species, it bends quite easily. The timber is left in the mold until cold and dry-ish.

Dry heat can be used as well. Most likely, again using a mould.

Great process to watch “side bending”. I have a luthier friend and he has mould for this process. He places the timber in metal bath, containing boiling water, cooks it to soften the timber and then places it on the mould. Depending on the timber species, it bends quite easily. The timber is left in the mold until cold and dry-ish.

Dry heat can be used as well. Most likely, again using a mould.
I just watched a video of someone bending the wood for a guitar side using a steam box:

I guess I didn't realize the side wood was so thin! Makes sense now that I see it.

Oh, and such a pleasure to see "mould" spelt the way I learned it, not "mold". Hah!

I’m not sure either is right wrong as far as a iPhone spell check is concerned!;)

Usually about 2.5-3mm!

One more thing...

I took this to a Celtic Festival over the weekend, where it sat outside all day on Saturday (in a soft case, in the shade, rain and sunny on and off) while we ran sound, to be pulled out only for a couple quick sets on two different stages we played near the end of the day. Tuning was stable, and it sounded nice through the PAs.

And I was reminded how much stronger the signal from the pickup is compared to the SE Angelus Custom (and other acoustic guitars I have) - it is really strong! Like twice the volume!

I really like this guitar. Complements the Angelus Custom very well.

Back