NGD - SE SVN, with Burled Poplar top and Ebony FB

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Ordered this guitar last September after hearing about it here (and before the SVN was announced) - a "special" run by The Axe Palace.

The ebony fretboard piqued my interest most of all - I like the slicker feel of ebony over rosewood more and more these days.

The burled poplar top (just a veneer, over maple I assume) is a nice bonus too.

Also, the neck is satin finished - I don't know if the regular production SVNs come that way (PRS product page doesn't mention it, and the photo is ambiguous enough to me to be uncertain).

Anyway, it plays great, sounds similar to my 25" scale SE CU24-7, but the extra scale length of the SVN (26.5") gives it a bit more, um, "djentiness".

I played it for about 30 min through the HXDA last night, through a variety of pedals and just straight in. Felt good. I baselined the feel by playing the CU24-7 the night before, to remember how a 7-stringer is different from the 6-stringers I usually play, so I wasn't fumbling too much.

We have band practice tonight, so probably won't get a chance to do a back-to-back between the two, but maybe this weekend.

P2MHEjG.jpg

kGkSzXO.jpg

krEHpaa.jpg

Ordered this guitar last September after hearing about it here (and before the SVN was announced) - a "special" run by The Axe Palace.

The ebony fretboard piqued my interest most of all - I like the slicker feel of ebony over rosewood more and more these days.

The burled poplar top (just a veneer, over maple I assume) is a nice bonus too.

Also, the neck is satin finished - I don't know if the regular production SVNs come that way (PRS product page doesn't mention it, and the photo is ambiguous enough to me to be uncertain).

Anyway, it plays great, sounds similar to my 25" scale SE CU24-7, but the extra scale length of the SVN (26.5") gives it a bit more, um, "djentiness".

I played it for about 30 min through the HXDA last night, through a variety of pedals and just straight in. Felt good. I baselined the feel by playing the CU24-7 the night before, to remember how a 7-stringer is different from the 6-stringers I usually play, so I wasn't fumbling too much.

We have band practice tonight, so probably won't get a chance to do a back-to-back between the two, but maybe this weekend.

P2MHEjG.jpg

kGkSzXO.jpg

krEHpaa.jpg
Looks fantastic, Djent away Shinksma.

Thanks everyone! Yes, side/back are black. Here are a couple shots in the sunlight. The burl almost goes green/brown.

Invn1LK.jpg

1Fz3RIB.jpg

Last night I demoed it a bit for the band, being all pseudo-djenty as best I could (I'm not fast enough to truly djent). Later in the evening we did our usual slightly rock'n'roll version of Sound Of Silence, and it sounded pretty good with a touch of dirt (increasing throughout the song via guitar vol knob) into the HXDA (low volume) against the acoustic guitar another bandmate played. I'm pretty darned happy with this beast.

As an aside, my wife played bass on Sound of Silence, which I think marked her first time properly playing through a cover song on bass (rather than me and her messing around with the chords to Rocking In The Free World, for example).

Last edited:
Wow... that is rather lovely looking!
Congrats!
I've never tried a seven string. What am I missing out on?
You’re missing out on extra confusion, and getting in your bass player’s way. Seriously, I think it is more suited to stuff not on your set list.

As @veinbuster mentioned, the seventh string can be a bit confusing, easy to trip over, and depending on your bass player, you can interfere. On the other hand, the first night I got the SVN I jammed with my wife, her playing (4-string) bass, and she played a nice F-E-D-C pattern, which started out below my guitar, but the D and C fall into the same range as the SVN tuning, and that allowed me to get a rhythm loop going of descending chords, and then mess around soloing over my loop and her bass. I thought it sounded quite interesting.

Plus, your bass player can just get a 5-string, and dig down even deeper.

It worked fine on Sound of Silence (see post above), which isn't exactly classic djent. You have to use the B-string sparingly sometimes.

Wow man, fantastic!

Wow... that is rather lovely looking!
Congrats!
I've never tried a seven string. What am I missing out on?

I keep my low string tuned to A, which facilitates very rich sounding jazzy chords and makes it easier for me to do sustained solo runs and interesting riffs. Plus you can play songs in lower keys without switching guitars and you can even use it for some pseudo bass sounds.

I keep my low string tuned to A, which facilitates very rich sounding jazzy chords and makes it easier for me to do sustained solo runs and interesting riffs. Plus you can play songs in lower keys without switching guitars and you can even use it for some pseudo bass sounds.

Drop-A is what I do with my Cu24-7 as well. It's a decent compromise between "standard" 7-string tuning (e.g. Dream Theater) and "A-standard" tuning (e.g. Delain).

Back