NGD - SE Soapbar in da howze

I should’ve snagged one back when they were 3-4 bills. Now prices approach beat up S2 prices. So then I tell myself I’ll snag an S2 satin SC and get a pick guard made for soapies. Then I do nothing, so I still have no soapies.

I should’ve snagged one back when they were 3-4 bills. Now prices approach beat up S2 prices. So then I tell myself I’ll snag an S2 satin SC and get a pick guard made for soapies. Then I do nothing, so I still have no soapies.
I see them for $550 or 600 often. I paid $600 for mine and it came with a nice hardshell case.

Yesterday I swapped magnets in the pickups.

Put roughcast alnico 3 in the neck and roughcast alnico 5 in the bridge.

The original magnets were polished and unknown alnico. Probably A5.

I was hoping to make the neck pickup less loud because it overpowers the bridge pickup and has too much bass.

It helped but didn't lower the output enough.

I did discover that I was able to reduce the bass by moving the magnets slightly off center and towards the treble string polepieces.

But even when I adjust the neck pickup far from the strings it's just too loud and there's still too much bass.

So today I'm going to try alnico 2.

Love that bridge pickup tho, just as it is!

Last edited:
I see them for $550 or 600 often. I paid $600 for mine.

Yesterday I swapped magnets in the pickups.

Put roughcast alnico 3 in the neck and roughcast alnico 5 in the bridge.

The original magnets were polished and unknown alnico.

I was hoping to make the neck pickup less loud because it overpowers the bridge pickup and has too much bass.

Today I'm going to try roughcast alnico 2, although alnico 3 is weaker and should have helped correct the issue.

It didn't.

Even when I adjust the neck pickup far from the strings it's just too loud.

I was able to reduce the bass by moving the magnets slightly off center and towards the treble string polepieces.

Love that bridge pickup tho!

Yeah, that’s what I typically see them priced at. I really like having the 4 knob configuration because I like blending a rolled off pickup or just quickly switching from rolled off neck pickup to wide open bridge. Hence my conundrum of picking up a used S2 SC satin and modding it for P90’s. Can usually find them for $8-900. Granted, I’d probably end up sticking another $300 in on the mods. Then I’m at twice the price of the SE.:D At least I’d have exactly what I was looking for, I suppose. I’ve been talking about doing this for years. It’s ridiculous. So every time I see a thread on one of these I get P90 envy. Then the wheels start turning again.

Interesting stuff on the magnets. I don’t really know jack about soapies. I’d be interested to know what works out for you.

Yeah, that’s what I typically see them priced at. I really like having the 4 knob configuration because I like blending a rolled off pickup or just quickly switching from rolled off neck pickup to wide open bridge. Hence my conundrum of picking up a used S2 SC satin and modding it for P90’s. Can usually find them for $8-900. Granted, I’d probably end up sticking another $300 in on the mods. Then I’m at twice the price of the SE.:D At least I’d have exactly what I was looking for, I suppose. I’ve been talking about doing this for years. It’s ridiculous. So every time I see a thread on one of these I get P90 envy. Then the wheels start turning again.

Interesting stuff on the magnets. I don’t really know jack about soapies. I’d be interested to know what works out for you.
You can change the tone of humbuckers pretty dramatically by changing the magnet.

A5 tends to be bright and bassy. Less mids than A2 but stronger magnetic field.

A2 tends to accentuate the midrange and soften the bass and treble.

A3 has the weakest magnetic field and sounds nice for chords and clean playing.

A4 sounds between A2 and A5 to me.

Rough or sandcast magnets seem to add texture and complexity.

Polished magnets sound sharper and less textured.

It‘s fun and you can dial in your tone a little more,

These are the first P90’s I’ve worked with so I’m just beginning to get a handle on working with them. They use two magnets, not one.

M
You can change the tone of humbuckers pretty dramatically by changing the magnet.

A5 tends to be bright and bassy. Less mids than A2 but stronger magnetic

Rough or sandcast magnets seem to add texture and complexity.

Polished magnets sound sharper and less textured.

It‘s fun and you can dial in your tone a little more,

These are the first P90’s I’ve worked with so I’m just beginning to get a handle on working with them. They use two magnets, not one.
And this morning they sound darn good just as they are.

Think I’ll leave them alone for the time being.

RCA3 in the neck and RCA5 in the bridge.

Yes, they are hum-cancelling in the middle position.
Mine are not. So another reason to think mine are replacements. They sound too good and one has a lead that's been extended with another piece of shielded cable to reach the switch. I wonder what they are? They do have brass baseplates.

Disappointing that PRS did not find room in the new product launches to re introduce this, or do a SE McCarty with P90's ... (Pattern Reg Neck)

That would have me getting with my Sweetwater guy to get one on order ...

PS Don't look at "Mollys" post of a Core McCarty P90 Soapbar ... It will just leave you lusting ...nothing else will satisfy you (I'm trying to forget I saw it ) :)

Disappointing that PRS did not find room in the new product launches to re introduce this, or do a SE McCarty with P90's ... (Pattern Reg Neck)

That would have me getting with my Sweetwater guy to get one on order ...

PS Don't look at "Mollys" post of a Core McCarty P90 Soapbar ... It will just leave you lusting ...nothing else will satisfy you (I'm trying to forget I saw it ) :)

There’s something really sexy about a Std with a nice hog swirl eh?

Back