NGD - SE Semi-hollow looking for pups replacement

alceste_

I was interested in the Mira Semi-hollow but as my PRS distributor doesn't have them to try and no independent reviews out there yet... in one of the my visits to the dealer he digged out from the warehouse a brand new in the box 2011 SE Semi-hollow in natural finished. I'll post some pics soon!

It played beautifully and the neck felt good in my hand. Less then half the price of the Mira, so I pulled the trigger... It sounds good and the sustain is surprisingly great but the pups feel like lacking dynamics on clean sounds and to get muddy with distortion. They also sound a tad too trebly or me, maybe it's the hollow sound nature.

I was going to swap them anyway as I want to mod it for coil split using the MacCarty 58 wiring.

Would you guys be able to help me with suggestions for new pickups? I play mostly Blues either clean or with strong crunch and overdriven rock/grunge (think AC/DC and Pearl Jam). No metal or high distortions.

I once played a Schecter with SD Custom Custom and SD SH-1N 59 and really liked the pups but the neck what too thin for me.

Please send me your suggestions. It's my 1st PRS!

No suggestions for the pups, but welcome to the forum.
My son has the 2012 SE Semi-Hollow, a very fine guitar, and you made a great choice in getting that one.

Asking people to pick out pups is like asking them to pick out a gf/bf for you. It's hard cause even YouTube clips won't give much help since the person doesn't play like you have the same equipment as you and depending how they mic'd the speakers or imported the sound your not hearing it as it was anyways, not to mention your hearing it through headphones or small speakers.

Asking people to pick out pups is like asking them to pick out a gf/bf for you. It's hard cause even YouTube clips won't give much help since the person doesn't play like you have the same equipment as you and depending how they mic'd the speakers or imported the sound your not hearing it as it was anyways, not to mention your hearing it through headphones or small speakers.

While I agree in principle, the reality is that pick-up recommendations abound in this forum. I would look at some of the other threads where someone has replaced the pups in a Zach Myers (SE ZM), since that is also a semi-hollow.

What you might want to do is look carefully at what pups you currently have, how they are constructed, etc (windings, alnico type, blah blah), and see whether, in theory, what options are out there that might be more like what you want.

I must admit to being a complete noob regarding pups - I have never swapped out a set.

I have pictures to post but I only see the option to insert a link to URL location, which I don't have. Can't we just copy paste in the post?

I set it up really low with '10s and it plays really smooth! I know that pickups and girlfriends choices are subjective but for the pickups I won't mind getting your recommendations. I am sure that you have knowledge and pinions to share. Been playing for many years but I am ignorant on what's on the market and how they sound, so please tell me what are your suggestions!

I have pictures to post but I only see the option to insert a link to URL location, which I don't have. Can't we just copy paste in the post?

The Forum software only allows links to external photos/picture/images. So you have to upload your photos to somewhere like Flickr or Photobucket, then link to those photos by copying the URL into the Insert Image dialog box.

(The forum instructions make it sound like you can upload pics directly, but that function is not available - perhaps a previous iteration of the forum allowed it.)

Even though the name might seem otherwise, you could try the \m/ pickups - they are good for stuff other than metal, from what I understand. Or try those SD pups you had in the other guitar. Or poke around on other non-PRS forums :eek: and see if there is a trend towards a particular DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan or (whatever) type of pickup for Blues / Classic Rock players.

Back