NGD - SE Marty Friedman

xjbebop

Yippy ki yay...
This little guy had been hanging in the local GC for some time now. They've already lowered the price on these a good bit, then with my frequent buyer discount added I just couldn't refuse :tongue:
So far I'm way more impressed with it than I expected, so it looks like it's finally got a good home.

8086.jpg

8085.jpg

8084.jpg

Classy tuxedo look... it's just a solid workhorse rocker! Feels, plays and sounds great. I'm liking these pickups a bit better than the 245 pups on a lot of the other SE's. At least they work great on the guitar.
Not much to change. The pups are 4 wire so I might add some series/parallel pull pots just add some sweetness if I want it. I like this bridge way better than the 'locking' one on the Akesson... that thing was a pita.
The only reservation I had about this was the daisy rock star inlays, but I'm just gonna rock those mother truckers :top: ...at least they're not the same old boring plastic birds...
And the exceptional deal included a very nice, high quality S2 gig bag...ROCK!

I was thinking of getting one too, MF had these at $449 last week. But it seems very similar spec wise to my Clint Lowery, except that's a 25.5 scale. Otherwise, sort of close.

Looks great though, congrats!

I dig those - very classy. GC has indeed been lowering prices on alot of the SEs around me too - not going to give in. I kinda like the stars. I never caught when the specs were posted that these came with "SE Humbuckers" instead of the 245s...interesting.

I like this bridge way better than the 'locking' one on the Akesson... that thing was a pita.

Even after I received the official "tool" from TonePros, I hated every single second I spent with that bridge.

I like this bridge way better than the 'locking' one on the Akesson... that thing was a pita.

Even after I received the official "tool" from TonePros, I hated every single second I spent with that bridge.

So I never really looked at the bridge on the Akesson to much - how does the TonePro bridge in the Akesson vary from the PRS adjustable stop tail found on the Friedman and ZM etc? I like my ZM, that's for sure.

Just curious, not likely to ever pick up an Akesson...

So I never really looked at the bridge on the Akesson to much - how does the TonePro bridge in the Akesson vary from the PRS adjustable stop tail found on the Friedman and ZM etc? I like my ZM, that's for sure.

Just curious, not likely to ever pick up an Akesson...

The Akesson was a great guitar, especially for what I paid for it - I probably should have just swapped out the bridge. I found the locking studs, even with the proper tool, to be very difficult to lock down, and it took me forever to get the action set right. What I felt was worse was the string guide holes - it was nearly impossible to fish the strings through the holes the "right" way without removing the bridge completely - which of course lead to either "bottom wrapping" the strings (and leaving room for tuning issues) OR taking the whole thing off and then invariably messing up the string height and that started the whole thing over again...

Maybe I just wasn't smart enough to own it lol.

Anyway I found "the tool" the other day, so if anyone needs one PM me...

Truss rod cover on PRS Marty Friedman

Hi,
I'd like to ask something about the truss rod cover:
On the Thomann website http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_se_marty_friedman.htm "PRS" appears to be written on it, but in every video presentation, or in his every concert, or even on American eBay stores, the guitar has a blank truss rod cover.
I just wanted to know what do you guys know about this?
Thanks!

it's a very respectable you did giving that beautiful guitar a new home! complete black guitars are classy as ****!
enjoy it loud!!

Hi,
I'd like to ask something about the truss rod cover:
On the Thomann website http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_se_marty_friedman.htm "PRS" appears to be written on it, but in every video presentation, or in his every concert, or even on American eBay stores, the guitar has a blank truss rod cover.
I just wanted to know what do you guys know about this?
Thanks!

PRS just switched to a blank cover for the SE's. You're not missing much since the PRS logo was just silkscreened on.

Don't know about that...
Seems that Thomann (the biggest reseller in Europe) would love to contradict here, just as I told them that the guys in US would love to do that :dancing:.
Because they told me that the ones with a blank truss rod cover were built before going into mass production.

Furthermore they even told me, Marty Friedman's piese is not built by PRS Korea, but THAT I can understand :top:.

Back