NGD! SE Custom 24 Limited Edition w/ roasted maple neck

RomeoSierra

Guitarist, obvs.
I got this guitar last Wednesday so technically, it's not NGD but I've only just managed to get myself up & running on here to be able to share properly.

Here we have a new limited edition Cu24 with roasted maple neck. I've always had a thing for maple necks in general, so when PRS brought out the maple neck SEs recently, I was interested. Now they have gone a step further with these baked maple models. I much prefer the caramel colour compared to the lighter fresh, natural maple.

Having mainly played a MIA Strat for the best part of 20 years, this feels a bit different and sounds it too. I stuck a set of NYXL 10s on it straight away so at least the string gauge would feel familiar. The longer neck and stiff-feeling bridge mean it's quite a departure from my trusty old worn-in Fender though. Still, I likes a challenge!

I have heard the build quality of the Korean SEs is excellent and this one seems to be great on the whole. Couple of niggles though: selector switch was slightly loose, the pots are a little off centre so the knobs move up & down a touch when rotated, the bottom strap button is also screwed in at a slight angle, few small spots of glue on fretboard. These are minor grievances however and the important bits are superbly finished. Frets are very tidy, the tuners feel solid, controls work well and feel good, with the possible exception of the tone dial which is too light for my taste.

I've had a chance to play her at volume at a couple of rehearsals and so far very pleased with the sound. Particularly like the middle position with coils split which has a touch of Telecaster twang to my ears. Really liking the versatility of the coil tap in general, it will come in very handy for gigs as I play a wide variety of genres. I'm also enjoying having the raw power of humbuckers for big solo tones.

I'll wrap this up now before it gets too tedious! In conclusion, very excited to get to grips with this thing & can't wait for her debut outing on a big gig next weekend!

IMG-20190605-125953.jpg
IMG-20190605-130029.jpg
IMG-20190605-125936.jpg
IMG-20190605-130039.jpg
IMG-20190605-130053.jpg

Last edited:
I got this guitar last Wednesday so technically, it's not NGD but I've only just managed to get myself up & running on here to be able to share properly.

Here we have a new limited edition Cu24 with roasted maple neck. I've always had a thing for maple necks in general, so when PRS brought out the maple neck SEs recently, I was interested. Now they have gone a step further with these baked maple models. I much prefer the caramel colour compared to the lighter fresh, natural maple.

Having mainly played a MIA Strat for the best part of 20 years, this feels a bit different and sounds it too. I stuck a set of NYXL 10s on it straight away so at least the string gauge would feel familiar. The longer neck and stiff-feeling bridge mean it's quite a departure from my trusty old worn-in Fender though. Still, I likes a challenge!

I have heard the build quality of the Korean SEs is excellent and this one seems to be great on the whole. Couple of niggles though: selector switch was slightly loose, the pots are a little off centre so the knobs move up & down a touch when rotated, the bottom strap button is also screwed in at a slight angle, few small spots of glue on fretboard. These are minor grievances however and the important bits are superbly finished. Frets are very tidy, the tuners feel solid, controls work well and feel good, with the possible exception of the tone dial which is too light for my taste.

I've had a chance to play her at volume at a couple of rehearsals and so far very pleased with the sound. Particularly like the middle position with coils split which has a touch of Telecaster twang to my ears. Really liking the versatility of the coil tap in general, it will come in very handy for gigs as I play a wide variety of genres. I'm also enjoying having the raw power of humbuckers for big solo tones.

I'll wrap this up now before it gets too tedious! In conclusion, very excited to get to grips with this thing & can't wait for her debut outing on a big gig next weekend!

IMG-20190605-125953.jpg
IMG-20190605-130029.jpg
IMG-20190605-125936.jpg
IMG-20190605-130039.jpg
IMG-20190605-130053.jpg
She's a beauty- congrats!

HNGD! I wish I had the option of the roasted maple neck. I built a Strat with a Warmoth roasted neck and it was superb! Unfinished and literally only had to tune once a month at most.

Congrats! Digging the blue quilt veneer on that with the maple fretboard as well.

Thanks man I am really pleased with the top. It's pretty lame however, in comparison with that single cut of yours... Wow. But I guess in fairness, mine was a fraction of the price!

Back