NGD! SE Custom 24! (EXCHANGE EDITION!)

kirellah

Hey everyone, my first post in the forum (I'll do a little more in depth "welcome" post in the appropriate thread).

Earlier this week, I picked up a used SE Custom 24 in Quilt Charcoal (the Sweetwater exclusive!). I've been playing my recently acquired SE Standard 24-08 and have fallen in love with it, so I wanted to add another 24 fret SE. I figured the Custom 24 would be a great compliment to the Standard 24-08, given the maple cap and 85/15's in the Custom instead of the plain mahogany and TCI's in the 24-08. Love the necks on these too, and I think I am now fully committed to being a 24 fret player, these are my first 24's and I love the way they feel and play.

Here are a few pictures! I love the top on this one for sure, but would someone PLEASE ease my mind a little in regards to the bass side (edit: meant to say treble side!) of the top being a little darker?! My OCD brain needs a break! I think the quilt on the bass side is a little more dense, causing the darkness, but I don't think its overly extreme. I know its darker, and I think its me overthinking it after seeing other quilts in this model that are little more uniform. Either way, I love the guitar, but I could use a little positive encouragement in regards to the top from other PRS/SE owners!

Thanks, and happy to be here!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, my first post in the forum (I'll do a little more in depth "welcome" post in the appropriate thread).

Earlier this week, I picked up a used SE Custom 24 in Quilt Charcoal (the Sweetwater exclusive!). I've been playing my recently acquired SE Standard 24-08 and have fallen in love with it, so I wanted to add another 24 fret SE. I figured the Custom 24 would be a great compliment to the Standard 24-08, given the maple cap and 85/15's in the Custom instead of the plain mahogany and TCI's in the 24-08. Love the necks on these too, and I think I am now fully committed to being a 24 fret player, these are my first 24's and I love the way they feel and play.

Here are a few pictures! I love the top on this one for sure, but would someone PLEASE ease my mind a little in regards to the bass side of the top being a little darker?! My OCD brain needs a break! I think the quilt on the bass side is a little more dense, causing the darkness, but I don't think its overly extreme. I know its darker, and I think its me overthinking it after seeing other quilts in this model that are little more uniform. Either way, I love the guitar, but I could use a little positive encouragement in regards to the top from other PRS/SE owners!

Now are you using that Quilter as a pedal platform??

Here are a few pictures! I love the top on this one for sure, but would someone PLEASE ease my mind a little in regards to the bass side of the top being a little darker?! My OCD brain needs a break! I think the quilt on the bass side is a little more dense, causing the darkness, but I don't think its overly extreme. I know its darker, and I think its me overthinking it after seeing other quilts in this model that are little more uniform. Either way, I love the guitar, but I could use a little positive encouragement in regards to the top from other PRS/SE owners!

When I bought my SE Custom 24 I though I’d never use those extra frets. But then I started playing a lot of blues and a lot of that in A. I get up there in pretty much every song. But most of that is because I’m forcing myself to cover as much of the fretboard as possible.

Now are you using that Quilter as a pedal platform??
Yes! Love it. Does exactly what I need it to. I use it on the "Lead" setting, and I have the EQ dead neutral; the Tri Q is in the middle, flat, and the Hi-Cut is all the way to the left, flat. Results in a very good clean tone still, and it takes my pedals VERY well. I get everything from my pedals, so the amp just needs to allow them to do their thing, and the Quilter stuff does that!

When I bought my SE Custom 24 I though I’d never use those extra frets. But then I started playing a lot of blues and a lot of that in A. I get up there in pretty much every song. But most of that is because I’m forcing myself to cover as much of the fretboard as possible.
Same! Didnt think I'd ever access those extra 2, but I do often. And I feel like I am less cramped on the other areas of the board as a result of the 24 frets.

Congrats! Funny I think the bass side looks best! I really do. As already said, wood does what wood does. It's not supposed to perfect, especially on quilt. Enjoy
Oops, I meant to say the treble side looked darker! :oops:. I made that edit, and put my post in the awaiting approval period haha. Anyway, I agree, I like the bass side a lot, and the treble side, but there's a definite change in the tint for sure, but I think expecting quilt to be perfect is not possible, and the more I look at it, the more its becoming just the way the top/finish is. Thanks to the feedback here for sure!

The beauty in these PRS tops is that they AREN'T perfectly even...each one is a one of a kind work of art. Looks great, and that's a nice little corner you got going there. Love the old Floyd poster.
True! No one is the same, and truly its how they play and sound that gets the job done, and this one does that VERY well of course! Learning to like the differences in the top! Appreciate the help with that!

And, heres the rest of my music room. My little spot in the house where I can get away, play guitar and listen to music (when the kids are asleep and my wife doesnt mind ;)) Which is usually first thing in the morning before I head to work.

Back