NGD! SE Custom 24! (EXCHANGE EDITION!)

Well, my overthinking got the best of me. And to my eye, for the better! Kind of a saga with this guitar, here goes.

I ordered this online from a music store out of state, probably one you're familiar with, but not the big box guys. Their policy for online orders is a 48 hour return window. At the time I ordered this, this was the only Sweetwater exclusive SE Custom 24 they had in stock, and the only place I've seen this model since Sweetwater ran out of stock. So I was going to live with it, but I was thinking and thinking about this top, and I was looking online at other SE quilt tops to calm myself down in terms of possible mismatches and ended up back on their site. They now had another one of these in stock, that I liked better.

This was last Friday, I got the guitar earlier in the week on Monday, so my return window had closed. I still quickly called and asked about ANY options for an exchange since I liked the new guitars top MUCH more! The sales guy called the owner, and he said he'd waive the return window policy if I covered the shipping back to them and would void my return window for the new one. I got the guitar out that day, and this showed up to me yesterday. I am SO much happier with this top, and of course the guitar rips! I love it. It was so cool of them to work with me on this one, knowing they had no obligation to at all.

Here's a few pictures of the new one! Some pictures with normal light in my music room, probably the guitar's natural state, and some with some more light to highlight the quilt and its variations.

Well, my overthinking got the best of me. And to my eye, for the better! Kind of a saga with this guitar, here goes.

I ordered this online from a music store out of state, probably one you're familiar with, but not the big box guys. Their policy for online orders is a 48 hour return window. At the time I ordered this, this was the only Sweetwater exclusive SE Custom 24 they had in stock, and the only place I've seen this model since Sweetwater ran out of stock. So I was going to live with it, but I was thinking and thinking about this top, and I was looking online at other SE quilt tops to calm myself down in terms of possible mismatches and ended up back on their site. They now had another one of these in stock, that I liked better.

This was last Friday, I got the guitar earlier in the week on Monday, so my return window had closed. I still quickly called and asked about ANY options for an exchange since I liked the new guitars top MUCH more! The sales guy called the owner, and he said he'd waive the return window policy if I covered the shipping back to them and would void my return window for the new one. I got the guitar out that day, and this showed up to me yesterday. I am SO much happier with this top, and of course the guitar rips! I love it. It was so cool of them to work with me on this one, knowing they had no obligation to at all.

Here's a few pictures of the new one! Some pictures with normal light in my music room, probably the guitar's natural state, and some with some more light to highlight the quilt and its variations.

Good choice! Love that top much more.

Well the saga continues! Didn't realize it at first, but there was a crack in the clear coat of the finish on the side, the natural wood part. Not major, but enough for me to be concerned. Called the shop, and they assured me it must have happened in shipping, which I accepted. They said I could return the guitar for the original one, or just refund some of the shipping cost. I took the refund, and was content with starting to ignore the crack.

But then I got talking with my Uncle about it (for context, this is the Uncle that started my love for guitar and music back when I was around 12 or so, huge influence on me!). He said he could use another PRS, so we made a deal so that I could grab another version of the guitar I wanted, he wasn't concerned at all about the finish crack. This same store has multiple locations, and the one I was really wanting was listed for sale the same day as the one I just posted about, but it was in another location so they couldn't do the exchange for that one. So in a long and winding road, I end up with the one I would have preferred, so thats cool!

It continues... I was supposed to have this delivered last Friday, but the shop sent the black gold Custom 24 they had instead of the charcoal finish I ordered. But, thats en route back to them so they can send me the right one.

Sorry everyone, I don't meant to be "that guy" on the forum, and I'm sure this sounds like a crazy unnecessary adventure for an SE! Certainly feels that way typing it! But, SE cost aside, I'm spending decent money on something that I will use all the time, and I want to be happy with it.

Here's a stock picture of the one I will be getting sometime this week, hoping the saga ends here and I can start riffing on it!

I’ve always felt that the more movement there was in a top, the more I liked it. Playing always came first for me, but I’m glad you got the one that makes you happy.

I’ve always felt that the more movement there was in a top, the more I liked it. Playing always came first for me, but I’m glad you got the one that makes you happy.
For sure, I can't believe how picky I'm being with this one, usually thats not the case. But the two I've had just dont feel like mine, if that makes sense. I've never done this type of thing with a guitar before, but I'm just following my intuition on this and it certainly comes off as a little neurotic (to the bone, no doubt about it. Sorry, I only think of Green Day's "Basket Case" when I see, hear, or use that word!), so I'm ready to put this to bed and start playing it!

Well the saga continues! Didn't realize it at first, but there was a crack in the clear coat of the finish on the side, the natural wood part. Not major, but enough for me to be concerned. Called the shop, and they assured me it must have happened in shipping, which I accepted. They said I could return the guitar for the original one, or just refund some of the shipping cost. I took the refund, and was content with starting to ignore the crack.

But then I got talking with my Uncle about it (for context, this is the Uncle that started my love for guitar and music back when I was around 12 or so, huge influence on me!). He said he could use another PRS, so we made a deal so that I could grab another version of the guitar I wanted, he wasn't concerned at all about the finish crack. This same store has multiple locations, and the one I was really wanting was listed for sale the same day as the one I just posted about, but it was in another location so they couldn't do the exchange for that one. So in a long and winding road, I end up with the one I would have preferred, so thats cool!

It continues... I was supposed to have this delivered last Friday, but the shop sent the black gold Custom 24 they had instead of the charcoal finish I ordered. But, thats en route back to them so they can send me the right one.

Sorry everyone, I don't meant to be "that guy" on the forum, and I'm sure this sounds like a crazy unnecessary adventure for an SE! Certainly feels that way typing it! But, SE cost aside, I'm spending decent money on something that I will use all the time, and I want to be happy with it.

Here's a stock picture of the one I will be getting sometime this week, hoping the saga ends here and I can start riffing on it!

Don’t apologize. We all need to know about this kind of stuff happening and how you got it resolved. We learn from each other.
Here’s hoping your new addition arrives soon, and in good health.

A quick update, and I won't drag this thread on any longer, but the guitar got here yesterday and I love it. Feeling so much better about everything on this one, and I'm excited to start working with it! Short and sweet, here are a few pics of the guitar, and my PRS SE wall ;)

Congrats
Enjoy

Back