NGD: SE Custom 22 Semi-hollowbody

IceTre

Hello everybody,

It's not exactly new gear day; I got it last week, but just now posting. It was a store demo with a tiny blemish on the headstock. I made a very low offer and they went for it. I won't tell you how low because you'll all hate me if I do. :) The action was very high, and the strings were very skinny. So I put standard 10-gauge strings on, had to adjust the tremolo bridge (thanks to the guys in the technical forum here), and lowered the action. Now it plays and sounds great!

The neck is called "Wide-Thin" and I generally don't like thin necks, but it's not bad-- not near as skinny as my Carvin neck, or the necks on shredder guitars. The 10" radius is a nice compromise between the vintage Fender 7.25" and the Gibson/Gretcsh/shredder flat guitar necks. The neck is very comfortable to me.

The 85/15 pickups are very interesting. They have a scooped mid sound, or a boosted bass and treble, which amounts to the same thing. So they don't sound anything like Les Paul humbuckers, or any other humbuckers. They have their own unique sound, halfway between humbuckers and single coils, almost like fat single coil pickups. I like them, but I can see why some people wouldn't; if you're looking for a standard Les Paul humbucker sounds, this ain't it-- by design. I find they sound great with midrange-oriented amps, like my 1997 Vox AC15.

OK, here it is:

DSC07689.JPG

The 85/15 pickups are very interesting. They have a scooped mid sound, or a boosted bass and treble, which amounts to the same thing. So they don't sound anything like Les Paul humbuckers, or any other humbuckers. They have their own unique sound, halfway between humbuckers and single coils, almost like fat single coil pickups. I like them, but I can see why some people wouldn't; if you're looking for a standard Les Paul humbucker sounds, this ain't it-- by design. I find they sound great with midrange-oriented amps, like my 1997 Vox AC15.

Congrats on a beautiful new guitar! I think you sum up the 85/15s very well. I recently went all PRS after having played Strats and Grestch-style guitars for a long time. My major concern was that I would wind up with a muddy sounding guitar that wouldn't provide the clarity I love. The 85/15s sound great to me, very dynamic and clear without being harsh. I wound up buying two SE Custom 24s and an S2 Standard 24, because I love those pickups so much. And they sound great through a Marshall.

Congrats! Looks like you have that fiddle a nice home with all those amps :)

Thanks for all the congrats. Sorry the forum software rotated the photo 90 degrees. I can't find a way to fix it.
I have a bunch of guitars, and it's cool that this has its own sound. And it's one of the most comfortable ones to play (after I reset it up).

Back