NGD - SE Angelus Custom

MTrip

Couldn't resist pulling the trigger on the SE Custom. My only acoustic prior to this is vintage, but not in great shape (to say the least) - I couldn't resist the birds but also couldn't justify the price tag for 'made in MD' this time.

I'm not at all unhappy with the purchase when I think about it in terms of guitar-per-buck. Very nice rich tone, very easy to play, and did I mention the birds? But the headstock strikes me, frankly, as cheap-looking. The giant 'SE' there, and on the label inside, and on the case, seem a little like overkill. The rest of it really is pretty to look at, but it's clearly not of the same class as I'm used to (snob alert). But maybe I'm just spoiled by my other two PRS electric beauties?

Anyway, for < $800 I'm not complaining at all. I find myself enjoying playing it more every time I pick it up and I love having the freedom that a cutaway affords - it just isn't quite as pretty as I had hoped.

Congrats!

Mine arrived with a broken headstock, and am awaiting the replacement... so you are killing me with your SE Angelus Custom NGD!

I just bought the SE Angelus Standard at the Experience event. I got it Friday afternoon, and except for the time spent at the event, I have hardly put the damn thing down. I had been thinking about getting one for a long long time but was never able to put my hands on one at any dealer. I finally got the chance Friday, and went for it. The $50 on the spot rebate helped push me a bit too. :)

Hi

Now that you have had the SE Angelus for a while , what are your impressions ? I am considering getting one and I could use some feedback.

Thanks

I love mine more every time I pick it up. In fact I just put it down after noodling on it for the last 90 minutes while watching football. I'm not sure I've ever had to re-tune it, it projects beautifully and has a nice clean and balanced tone. Go for it!

Just ordered my SE Angelus Custom w/out the pickup system. She should be here early next week; I'll post a full video review ASAP^_^

I love mine more every time I pick it up. In fact I just put it down after noodling on it for the last 90 minutes while watching football. I'm not sure I've ever had to re-tune it, it projects beautifully and has a nice clean and balanced tone. Go for it!

Did you have it set up when you got it ?I just got mine this week .Love the tone and it looks great , but I find the action a little high . How was yours when you got it ?

Mine came from Willcutt and they did a setup before delivery. I liked the action the way they had set it, but I didn't make any particular requests.

I just noticed a day or two ago that it's developed a buzz when I fret it at the 8th fret on the low E string. I'm planning on trying to tweak it to see if I can fix that.

Just got my Angelus SE from Sam Ash online. They screwed up the order the first time so it took almost a month to get here. Came today via FedEx and boy is it purdy. Plugged it into my acoustic amp and played for an hour straight. Sounds less bassy than my other guitar, a 30-year old Yamaha. Love the look, feel, intonation's great. I've never had on-board electronics like this. No manual for it. When you push the tuner button the amp gets cut out and the tuner goes to work. But I couldn't figure out how to turn the tuner off. You have to push and hold the button for a few seconds, then it turns off.

I received my Angelus SE Custom in November. The case had a faulty hinge and was replaced. Love the guitar but it has developed a buzz. The b string buzzes at the tenth fret and the e string buzzes when bent anywhere above the seventh fret. I took it to an authorized dealer ans was told the neck looked good and did a little tweaking. Now a G chord buzzes like crazy in addition to the ones that already existed. He told me a new set of strings may cure. I have had many guitars and never had a new set of strings cure a buzz. Anyone else had a problem like this?

Talking to Len Johnson a couple months ago, he said people have seen cases where strings are developing little kinks depending on how they're wrapped and sitting in the packaging, and that sometimes a new string will cure a buzz.

Back