NGD - SE 245 (Sorry, no photos yet)

Robert Lavin

Hello,

New (to me) guitar day! (Sorry if the pic's too big and I can't edit the title).

Apologies for the messy background.

2011 SE245 (maple cap) to go with a 2015 SE245 (plain mahogany).

Brief thoughts:

Maple cap is lighter.

Maple feels more "alive" and seems to sustain longer.

Tonally surprisingly different. But this could be a string thing. Both sets look similarly fresh / aged, same weight (10s) but are different brands (brass ferrules vs steel ferrules, nickel plated vs. nickel wound?). Could be a pickup cover thing. Pickup heights are similar.

To me, mahogany seems to have more defined cleans, maple overdrives / distorts more pleasingly.

I was planning to move one of them on, but (I probably knew this would happen) I'm not so sure.

Anyone else had a chance to do a a side-by-side comparison?

Last edited:
What pickups are in that SE 245? They don't look like what comes stock on them.

What pickups are in that SE 245? They don't look like what comes stock on them.

I've been thinking that. I can't find a picture of one with covered pickups and as far as I can see, none of the PRS literature has SE245s with covered pickups.

Not definitive, but the pickups each measure a few hundred Ohms more than the plain Mahogany. Bit of a mystery really.

I'll pop them out and have a look when I change the strings.

I've been thinking that. I can't find a picture of one with covered pickups and as far as I can see, none of the PRS literature has SE245s with covered pickups.

Not definitive, but the pickups each measure a few hundred Ohms more than the plain Mahogany. Bit of a mystery really.

resized_20191203_183650-jpeg.369663

Here's my SE 245 with the stock ones. The SE Custom 24, I swapped out to Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers.

I've had them out, and they're just G&B 245 pickups, nothing more exciting. A previous owner must have just preferred the look of covered pickups.

Back