NGD: SCHBI and Question

jak3af3r

Jake
I bought this guitar almost 5 years ago for really really cheap at a bookstore of all places, traded up for a mint 97 McCarty semi-hollow and began to regret the trade about a year ago. The owner decided he wanted a Silver Sky so I bought it back.

What always fascinated me was the color. I know blue tends to fade over time towards green but most PRS I've seen the blue just fades lighter and lighter until the maple starts showing its color. Knowing this seemed odd that the blue up by the neck is similar to Blue Matteo of that era but the bottom by the knobs is almost a dead match for emerald.

I took the pickups out, and the washers off the knobs to see what color was underneath and to my surprise, its blue at the top and green at the bottom. While I had the pickups out, I looked at the MODCAT and the color code is "ST" which I have found no record of.

Here are the specs:

Model: SC Hollowbody I
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Outline Birds (2008+)
Bridge: Piezo Adjustable Stoptail
Color: Could not find Color 'ST'
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: Mira or 245
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: Mira or 245
Electronics: Piezo (Hollowbody)

And the Pictures
aAlnBbW.jpg

pqEnBFL.jpg

geroz65.jpg

I1sZftV.jpg

yxpdHBT.jpg

BO5UisE.jpg

Last edited:
I read the post but didn't see a question. If the question was "what color was it?", it was a fade.

I read the post but didn't see a question. If the question was "what color was it?", it was a fade.

Sorry. Got distracted learning how to upload pictures.

Yes. The question is, what color is it/was it. The best I can work out is it's a blue to green fade. If that's the case then when did they start doing fade finishes? I know the Al Di Meola had a prism that was a "fade" of sorts but apart from that, this appears to be a run of the mill 10-top Singlecut Hollowbody piezo.

Beautiful guitar!

Is there such a thing as Slate Teal? o_O

Not that I know of. I really like both slate and teal but this looks too light up by the neck to have ever been either of those.

At any rate, I'm glad to have it back and it's just a beautiful as it was the day I bought it the first time.

Not that I know of. I really like both slate and teal but this looks too light up by the neck to have ever been either of those.

At any rate, I'm glad to have it back and it's just a beautiful as it was the day I bought it the first time.

It's good when they come back home!

I'll try my best...

- The first time I saw PRS debuted their guitars in 'fade' color theme was around 2010 in limited run. Major dealers acquired some of Blue Fade CU24, as far as I can remember one of those was World Guitar UK. Their youtube video is still available to be watched. (RIP Jeff)
My point is, those guitars came with full birds inlay, not outline birds, so I think your SC HB was not originally came with any fade style of color.

- Blue Matteo has its MODCAT code as BM, while Whale Blue has designated for WB so these two might not be the one you're after. But I personally think Slate Blue might be the best suited color considering the remaining color under the pup ring, but I don't know what code the Slate Blue uses.

- I've seen so many PRS blue-ish colors get fading over time with natural maple grain being more visible, but never seen any in Blue Fade style like yours.

Well the interesting thing about it is under the pot washers is completely emerald while under the pickup rings is blue. Which leads me to believe it was a custom order finish which seems odd because I thought, like you, the fades were introduced later.

Back