NGD: SC594SH River Blue

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Some of you may remember I ordered one of these SC594SH models right after PRS experience in 2018. But my order took forever (almost 2 yrs in the end) and I ended up getting impatient enough and substituting a double cut from the same dealer in exactly the same finish color, Aquamarine, because because it was immeditely available and would scratch my 594 itch.

But all this time I've had this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I still wanted a single cut version. I have now scratched that additional itch, and I'm quite happy with the the look of the guitar, the feel of the guitar, and the reasonable price I found it for on Reverb. Oh, and the weight is nice. I need to measure, but guessing just under 7 lbs.

CrSstpj.jpeg

I like the robbon mahogany back on this!
FcXNnI2.jpeg

And for those wondering and comparing Aquamarine vs River Blue, here they are side by side.
gjD7Csa.jpeg

I played them last night back to back, using same control settings, straight into my HXDA, and asked my wife (bass player in the band) if she could hear any difference. She said yes, the SC had a bit more "low end grunt". She was surprised she could tell. And she wasn't specifically paying attention to which guitar was which as I swapped back-and-forth. I guess the assertion that the single cut version has a bit more oomph from the more solid neck joint (on the non-cut bass side) is true!

Thanks, y'all! Definitely a nice feeling guitar.

Nice!
Now you need one of each in solid body to completely compare the variations.
Strictly for science, of course. :p:D
Lol, nah, I gravitate to the semi-hollows for their lower weight. But it is a nice idea for those that don't mind 8lbs+ slung around their shoulders!

I was messing around on the guitar this morning over coffee. As a side note I really like the feel of that pattern vintage neck. I understand some people don't like it, but it just seems to make the guitar that little bit easier to play and move up-and-down the neck.

Anyway, I decided to move away from noodling around with chord progressions in my usual places (Em, Am, G, etc, all down in/near the nut) and started purposely on E (Major) at the 7th fret.

I then experimented with a few of the major and minor 6th and 7th chord variations, and the major 3rd, and accidentally created a cover of Santeria by Sublime, lol. That isn't even a song that I am terribly familiar with, but of course has been on the radio enough and I have heard it elsewhere, so obviously it's stuck in my mind enough as a unique chord combination.

Ah well.

Oh, and the weight is nice. I need to measure, but guessing just under 7 lbs.
It is likely no-one cares, but...

I did weight the guitar. It comes in at 7.5 lbs. My DC 594SH comes in at a flat 7 lbs. What is weird is that the SC feels about the same weight when I'm playing standing up. The extra half-pound is indiscernible to me. Maybe just balanced a touch differently?

Back