NGD - SC594 with Katalox neck

JonH

This was an unplanned purchase - really! I'd previously let go of a SC594 and hoped to pick one up again eventually but not this soon.... I jumped at this one as I like the Copperhead finish on the 10-top; and it has a Katalox neck - something I have not seen or played until now, and I don't recall seeing on this forum at all. I really love the feel of the neck, the wood has a very tight fine grain, is smooth to the touch and is 'fast'. It has the color of rich milk chocolate! The one piece mahogany back is nicely grained too and quite dark. This thing has some weight to it!

I’ve seen a few katalox PRS necks in the wild, but never in person. The only other luthier I’ve seen incorporate katalox into the mix is Ken Lawrence. It looks divine!

This was an unplanned purchase - really! I'd previously let go of a SC594 and hoped to pick one up again eventually but not this soon.... I jumped at this one as I like the Copperhead finish on the 10-top; and it has a Katalox neck - something I have not seen or played until now, and I don't recall seeing on this forum at all. I really love the feel of the neck, the wood has a very tight fine grain, is smooth to the touch and is 'fast'. It has the color of rich milk chocolate! The one piece mahogany back is nicely grained too and quite dark. This thing has some weight to it!

Love it! The neck is totally interesting and has piqued my interest... totally cool! Congrats on a fine acquisition!

Congrats, looks great! Had to look up Katalox, apparently its Royal Mexican Ebony. I’m sure it sounds killer!

Thanks for the positive comments guys. It’s certainly a great instrument - to play and to look at. I’m sure katalox was used as an alternative to rosewood while there was that whole CITES thing going on with musical instruments. I’m not complaining as I’m so glad to add it to my PRS line up!

Seen some of katalox-neck-armed SCs in Europe an market for a while. Hopefully I could grab one but don’t have enough dough :(

Congrats seeing you scored it. Would you describe how it feels and sounds comparing to hog neck?:)

Back