NGD - SC58 AP Natural

studiotan

N(to me)GD yesterday. This is a bucket list guitar for me -- I am jazzed it's here and can't wait till I have more time to really dig in and play with it.

I had been saving for a P245 since they were announced, but when I saw this baby for sale and it ticked all the boxes for me I decided enough with the piezos! Fortunately for me, the owner needed cash quickly and was very motivated resulting in a great deal and the guitar was soon on its way out to California. It arrived 5 days later in perfect shape; the fedex guy even commented that he could tell it was really well packed as I rushed out to the truck on Friday to sign and wrest it from his hands.

It's out of the box so let's check the modcat shall we?

PRSSC58AP%20-%201_zpsvlkmugtc.jpg

Looks like he sent the right case with it: I decoded that as 2012 SC58 Artist Package with Natural Finish, mixed hardware, Indian Rosewood neck, Ebony fretboard, and 53/10's (YES!!!! love me some 53/10's)

Open up that lovely case...

PRSSC58AP%20-%203_zpsewu86hhr.jpg

[now is when I apologize the for the bad lighting and iphone pictures...]

Love this top, darker and a tighter grain than my HBII in natural finish. And I like the look and more importantly the feel of this bridge, it is comfortable to play and so solid.

PRSSC58AP%20-%207_zps9njfgmcp.jpg

Turn her over and enjoy that neck for a bit...

PRSSC58AP%20-%206_zps0wkvafdp.jpg

This is my second IRW neck, I'm sold on them for the feel alone.

Hey what's this on the back of the headstock:

PRSSC58AP%20-%204_zpsohw6ric3.jpg

Bonus PRSh signature from a meet and greet the previous owner attended at Willcutt's. Can't argue with that!

Now some back, very glossy hog with random door knob reflection. I sincerely thank the previous owner for his restraint in belt buckles wearage.

PRSSC58AP%20-%205_zps9qrrbrou.jpg

Finally, a family photo:

PRSSC58AP%20-%208_zpseif1qmla.jpg

Left to right: 2008 HBII Ten top Natural, 2012 SC58 AP Natural, 2014 Brian's Wood Library P24 Obsidian w/ IRW Neck. Because my core collection is not huge but I still dig having a lot of variety, I've tried to go out of my way to hold on to guitars that did not overlap too much, so these all have a different selection of pickups, fretboards, electronics, construction, bridges, etc.

How does she play? This guitar is super minty clean for a used axe but it feels really played-in if that makes any sense. Less than 8 1/2 lbs, but un-amplified it sustains and rings in a different way than my other PRS which makes sense given the SC construction, short scale, and the 2 piece bridge. With 3 little kids my weekend days are not my own so I have not cranked this through my rig yet, but I am really interested to hear the 53/10's in this SC platform and compare them to recordings I have heard that were made on double cut 25" scale guitars with the 53/10s like MEQ and P22.

Loving my new to me SC58!

--Eric

Absolutely perfect. I cannot imagine that it can get much better than the rosie neck with the 53/10s. Congrats!!

Congratulations on your new guitar and your approach to putting together your collection (as little overlap as possible).

About as perfect as they come. The magical 53/10's, solid rosewood neck, and I'm a huge a fan of natch guitars, that's the whole package.

Enjoy, and be sure to update us with your reflections as you spend some time with it.

Back