NGD - SC245 '13 Charcoal Burst!

intothevoid

Hey guys!

New member here :)

Just got my first PRS - it's on its way to me now, came across it on eBay and simply could not resist. I'd been eying SC245s for a while, and have played a few in some stores over the past couple years. The flame and finishing on this one just blew me away. Fingers crossed that it plays as well as it looks! I've played Les Pauls since the day I picked up guitar nearly 12 years ago so (initially Epis and now Gibsons), so this will be a change!

2013-prs-paul-reed-smith-sc245-charcoal-burst-elec.jpg

Awesome guitar there man. I love these models. My favorite yet!

cool - congrats! I am sure it will play great no doubt. Talking to a saleman yesterday the 2013 SC245 is basically a renamed "stripped" SC58. you look at the old specs for the Stripped SC58 and the new SC245 pretty mucch the same. The SC58 was designed to be an attainable version of the vintage 58 LP.( only by todays standard of build quality better) I have my eye on a SC245 but funds are just not in the cards right now.

Excellent taste. Welcome to the forums. I recently went to Katanio/Opeth in STL and Fredrik from Opeth was telling me how his new SC245 was his current favorite. The SC245's are sweet. Congrats.

Awesome guitar there man. I love these models. My favorite yet!

How could it not rock looking that good!

Thanks guys!

cool - congrats! I am sure it will play great no doubt. Talking to a saleman yesterday the 2013 SC245 is basically a renamed "stripped" SC58. you look at the old specs for the Stripped SC58 and the new SC245 pretty mucch the same. The SC58 was designed to be an attainable version of the vintage 58 LP.( only by todays standard of build quality better) I have my eye on a SC245 but funds are just not in the cards right now.

Ah that makes sense - thanks for the info! Even better then. Heard so much about those legendary 58s and 59s.

Excellent taste. Welcome to the forums. I recently went to Katanio/Opeth in STL and Fredrik from Opeth was telling me how his new SC245 was his current favorite. The SC245's are sweet. Congrats.

I went to Katatonia/Opeth in Athens, Georgia! WHAT a show! Pretty much inspired by the Opeth guys to try PRS :)

Was this the one on ebay? i thing i had it on my "watch list" :)

Killer Axe!

Yupp it was :)

Wowzer :eek:

I dig it :rock:

She's HAWT!

Thank you!

Can't wait to play this beauty!

Sweet pick! You'll love it I'm sure, if not give me a shout, I'd take that trouble maker off your hands....;)

Great looking guitar! I remember seeing that one listed and thinking it looked awesome.

Kind of more in between the Stripped 58 and the SC-58. Can also get a rosewood neck as option. Stripped - there was no 10 top available. SC-58 has artist top & inlays, rosewood headstock veneer. So the SC245 has pretty much the standard PRS options that are available on most models.

Great looking guitar! I remember seeing that one listed and thinking it looked awesome.

Kind of more in between the Stripped 58 and the SC-58. Can also get a rosewood neck as option. Stripped - there was no 10 top available. SC-58 has artist top & inlays, rosewood headstock veneer. So the SC245 has pretty much the standard PRS options that are available on most models.

true. just the new SC245 has more in common with the SC58 than the older SC245s sans binding etc.

Sweet pick! You'll love it I'm sure, if not give me a shout, I'd take that trouble maker off your hands....;)

Haha i'll keep that in mind but highly unlikely!

true. just the new SC245 has more in common with the SC58 than the older SC245s sans binding etc.

Well the 2 part stop/tail piece is definitely a big visual difference from the older SC245s.
I do think I prefer the look of the 2 part hardware - I guess mainly because I grew up on Les Pauls more than anything else.

Congratulations!

NOICE!!!!!

Thanks guys!

Sweet! Love the top and the combo hardware. Can't imagine you'd be disappointed. Congrats!

Thanks the combo hardware really caught my eye! Is that standard for 2013 SC245s? I saw it on a couple other ones too but they were also from the same dealer. So was wondering it that was a dealer specific change

Finally got it in my hands - wow, what a warm, smooth instrument! Plays like butter and sounds incredible. The clarity of the 57/08s under high gain is to die for!

Took some promo pics for my band with it. :rock:

580194_511059985632210_1420229957_n.jpg

1011839_10100319673718714_1596200286_n.jpg

1049037_511060605632148_1777136736_o.jpg

The Stripped did indeed have a 10 top option when it was released as a 'production' run guitar in 2012. In addition, birds became an upcharge/option on the 2012 run, whereas on the original run they were standard. The original 2011 "limited" Stripped 58 run had no 10-tops and only birds.

The 'new' 2013 SC245 basically consolidates the Stripped 58 and the SC58 into one line where the guitar you get is defined not by the model name but by the options/extras, including the Artist Pack option which essentially makes it nearly equivalent to the old SC58s that had artist-grade tops by default. There is still one fundamental difference though, and that's the neck binding - the SC58 had it, and it doesn't seem to be available at all on the 'new' SC245 line, even with an Artist Pack.

@OP - great lookin' guitar! Enjoy it!

congrats. beautiful guitar. it will be a change. a change for the BETTER! especially when you get used to the neck carve at the body and realize you can reach all the higher frets, where before with the lp's, you could only see! (lol)

Back