NGD S2 Studio

aamefford

The (should be) Committed
I’ve been teasing in another studio thread. It got here today! It is a new, made in 2021 S2 Studio. Guitar Sanctuary got a couple of them. I got the last one. I’ve had all of 10 minutes with it so far. It feels like it might fit and play a bit better for me than my SE Custom 22. Maybe. I didn’t know the S2’s were Nitro, but this one has a Nitro tag. What do I need to know to keep it nice looking? Anyway, picks or it didn’t happen!

PMTXzGh.jpg

sncpCLB.jpg

VAUZy2g.jpg

lSdPstt.jpg

J4jRORL.jpg

ANXXpjh.jpg

sXZfkml.jpg

H07yhzt.jpg

Oh man, a '21 with Nitro!?!?!? You lucky dog!

The build date on this gives me hope that maybe they'll bring this back to the S2 line. Sometimes dealers get a hold of prototype models, which this could be. It's just me wishing out loud!

Anyways, looks great. You got a nice, dark piece of rosewood on the board on that one, which of course is the perfect thing for black on black. I think the previous black Studio models had a tortoise shell guard. Which wasn't bad either, but it just makes yours even more cool!

To take good care of the nitro, avoid bug spray, sunscreen, and long term contact with anything rubber or leather - any of those things can damage nitro, for example leaving your guitar on a stand that has the rubber surgical tubing at the top, or leaving a leather strap hooked to it. And use a nitro safe cleaner, I know the new formulation of the PRS cleaner is nitro safe, and there are other popular ones.

These pix clearly show this to NOT be a Hello Kitty guitar! Congrats on a great score!! As mentioned above, ensure your cleaners and polishes you use are Nitro safe!!! IIRC, it was the PRS polish that was not safe on their own nitros, but they have updated it to be compatible. Just be sure you are getting the newer polish (if you use polish) from PRS!!! Congrats and enjoy!!!!

Thanks all! Even this noob can feel the difference between this guitar and my SE. I think a lot of it is the different neck profile, and the general fit and finish is just a bit better. It came out of the box pretty well in tune but a half step flat, +/-. The trem plus locking tuners are definitely smoother and stay in tune even better than the SE. This S2 Studio is a really nice guitar. To @SamIV i was in your territory a couple weeks ago for the National Down Syndrome Conference convention in New Orleans. Had a great time. It was stinkin’ hot, even for N. O.

Back to Nitro - any recommendations for nitro safe stands? I’m currently using a foam covered fender hanging stand - I suspect not so good for the nitro.

And style and function - any recommendations for good straps for old guy shoulder and back? I currently have one of these 3” wide padded leather Levy straps. It gets a solid “OK” in my book at best. Other recommendations?

Really nice !!!! Would love to run across one in the wild someday.

I'm SO confused, I thought the S2 Studio was discontinued in 2020. Even the PRS webpage for it is gone. The black models had tortoise guards on all the pics I've seen...and yours is Nitro...damn, what a score.
You know that 3 eyed fish that jumps up in the drainage ditch outside the power plant at the start of the old Simpsons episodes…. Best explanation I got was that Guitar Sanctuary got a couple of these direct from PRS, and speculated they were for overseas or something and Covid/inflation/supply chain/alien abductions caused them to be left behind with PRS. Score for me and some other guy or gal somewhere!

Edit for random 6 degrees of separation trivia - I live in CA. I work for a turbo machinery manufacturing company headquartered in Jeannette PA. @BeerBatteredPhish may find this amusing.

Back to Nitro - any recommendations for nitro safe stands? I’m currently using a foam covered fender hanging stand - I suspect not so good for the nitro.

And style and function - any recommendations for good straps for old guy shoulder and back? I currently have one of these 3” wide padded leather Levy straps. It gets a solid “OK” in my book at best. Other recommendations?

For nitro use Hercules stands. They're all I use for hangers and stands. I've never had an issue and the lock in feature is a nice bonus.

I have a leather strap problem. I don't really mess with padded. I find them mostly unnecessary when using quality wide leather straps except for maybe the heaviest of guitars. My 2 favs over the years are Italia and El Dorado.

I really want to play one of those. After you've had it for a couple days, please ship it to me for a semi-brief evaluation period. I'll put some candy in the case when I shop it back, for your trouble.
Lol, I’ve been here and TGP for several months now, and I already feel like I know you well. Just not that well. Yet. I’d probably make you a hell of a deal on an SE Custom 22 in vintage burst though. From what I gather prolly not your cup of tea. I think it will go on the block in favor of an acoustic though. I plugged into the new black one finally. Once you get past my horrible fumbling about, it sounds both awesome, and has lots of voices. The single coils seem fatter and richer than a Strat, the humbucker has a tremendous range from dirt to sparkle, depending on the amp gain, tone and volume knob, and split or not. The tone knob - it works! It has some consistency in what it does when you rotate it! You can actually tune the tone - who knew! Sorry, the SE tone and volume left me wanting. On, middle off. Like a 3 way switch with a bunch of travel in between. Or maybe it’s just the versatility of the pickups in the black one. Anyway, I dig it. Even more than I thought. It was kind of an impulse buy.

Lol, I’ve been here and TGP for several months now, and I already feel like I know you well. Just not that well. Yet. I’d probably make you a hell of a deal on an SE Custom 22 in vintage burst though. From what I gather prolly not your cup of tea. I think it will go on the block in favor of an acoustic though. I plugged into the new black one finally. Once you get past my horrible fumbling about, it sounds both awesome, and has lots of voices. The single coils seem fatter and richer than a Strat, the humbucker has a tremendous range from dirt to sparkle, depending on the amp gain, tone and volume knob, and split or not. The tone knob - it works! It has some consistency in what it does when you rotate it! You can actually tune the tone - who knew! Sorry, the SE tone and volume left me wanting. On, middle off. Like a 3 way switch with a bunch of travel in between. Or maybe it’s just the versatility of the pickups in the black one. Anyway, I dig it. Even more than I thought. It was kind of an impulse buy.
Yeah, you know me. I was joking. But I really would love to play one of those but have never seen one in the wild, and it appears yours is a special one. Glad you're digging it!

Back