NGD - S2 Standard 24 Satin Sunburst

GuitarKidd

Hello, first post, second PRS. I have PRS SE 245 as well, but this is my first Maryland, USA, PRS.

Here's the story. I've wanted a to try the new PRS S2 since they came out a few years back. My birthday is coming up at the end of the month so I have been kind of looking online at prices and what not. I saw yesterday that Musicians Friend has the S2 Standard 24 in Satin on sale, I thought that was a pretty nice deal.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon my wife and I went up to the retail area in Akron and I dropped her off for a mani/pedi and headed over to Guitar Center to look around. Guess what they had on the wall. A PRS S2 Standard 24 in Satin, the exact same guitar as MF. I had them pull it down and gave it a whirl for about 30 mins. Fit and finish was fantastic. But then again, it's a scaled down PRS, not a lot to get wrong, but they got a lot right.

Guitar Center price, Xxxx. I took it up to the front desk and asked, you guys match MF? O yeah, what's the price, showed them the price off my phone of xxxx, and the guy and this female associate both looked at each other then back at me and both had a big ole grin that said "Hell, yeah, guy is getting a new guitar today".

Then I thought, I have a LTD Viper deluxe sitting at home in great shape, not getting played all that much. It has the active EMG's, locking tuners and all that. I told the guy at the counter to hold the PRS and that I would be back in about 40 mins or so. I jumped in the car, made it home, grabbed the LTD, when back and picked up the wife from her mani/pedi (perfect timing too), then back to GC. They gave me $300 for the guitar. I said "Done".

So I bought the guitar for Xxxx, and the tax. Once at home, new strings adjusted the action to my liking, with no fret buzz and this guitar plays really nice. Great sustain. Meaty tone with some bite. Very SG like in looks, feel and sound. It's light too and very comfortable to play.

Now for some pics.

DSC02247_zpshaerzlcn.jpg

DSC02245_zpsxw9swwuo.jpg

DSC02243_zpsuvvglp6e.jpg

DSC02240_zpsrbhhgvie.jpg

DSC02248_zpsdvu4q0kk.jpg

DSC02254_zpsz4y8ills.jpg

DSC02239_zps8e07k1d1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Forum! Congrats on the S2. Great guitar!
Thanks!

Also, if the mods would like to move this to the Electric Instrument forum that would be cool. I tried to see if I could kill this and restart it but it doesn't appear that I can.

Fantastic! The satin S2's are really superb guitars, and not just in a "for the price" kind of way. But the price is insane, that you get such an instrument for that.

Nice shots! I love photographers do that with focus and make everything look toy-y:
tilt-shift-photography-tiny-new-york.jpg

Nice shots! I love photographers do that with focus and make everything look toy-y:
tilt-shift-photography-tiny-new-york.jpg
Thanks! My pictures were taking on a Sony A6000 with a F1.8 lens to get that "Bokeh" affect, where we play with the depth of field.

The "Miniture" affect in the photo above can be done a few different ways. My camera can do it via post processing and my lens would certainly help in that. Another way it is done is with a "Tilt" lens which I have no experience with at all.

I have a point and shoot cannon camera that has the miniature effect built into it and it does a nice job.

Back